The Taste of Brown Trout

We kept a 5# Brown last summer thinking it would be a good "eater".

Turned out it was quite "fishey". Is that because a 5#er is still too large or is that just the taste of all Brown Trout?

BTW I am aware of the oily area down each side of the fish and I used a good bit of lemon juice.

now ya know why we call em {oil cans}... but a small spring brown or any fish for that matter if ya cut there gills and let em bleed out on a strin ger while alive,then remove gills and guts and pack on ice your on your way for some good eating. also the [mud vain] down the sides is actually the latteral line somewhat of another organ this also should be removed for best taste{my own opinion}. also fresh water fish has to be spiced up a little for my taste i think there was a recipe thread on the old board . with fishing still a little ways off maybe someone would like to start a how to cook ,can,smoke,freeze thread again.... ill nominate that idea...... :)

I marinate kings in dinosaur bbq. sause the "mojito" kind, overnight than grill them. It would work on the browns too. When we clean the fish we remove all the dark meat thats the fat.

Try marinading your filet in salad dressing and cooking it on the grill, or cutting it into 1"cubes,shake them in Itilian bread crumbs and deep fry them. If you like a heaver coating dip them in an egg batter before you bread them.

I have always let my fillets soak in Milk overnight in the fridge, and then put them in the marinade of choice. The milk has enzymes that willpull some of the oil and bad taste. I was not a big fan of the trout and salmon, but since doing this I will eat them outof the lake if they are caught in the spring. Give it a try, you might be surprised. Good Luck.

Rich

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I have always thought that brownies were one of the better tasting salmonids out there.

They are absolutely my favorite in the smoker. I wish we caught more than we do.

Tim

Add me to the list of brownie lovers... nothing better than a few small fish from that ice cold spring lake water.... fry the bacon, cook the 'taters and onions in the bacon grease, add the bacon back into the 'taters, drop the battered brownies in the deep fryer..... this is a tradition at my house after the first spring trip. 8)

One of my favorite recipes for trout or salmon at home is put the fillets in aluminum foil add some white wine (lake niagara) some lemon juice, and a small pat of butter or margarine. After that I thinly slice some onions and lay them over the fillet. Over the onions sprinkle some brown sugar and parseley/paprika. (If you like spicier foods use any hot spice or sauce that you like also.) Wrap the fillets and either bake or grill the foil packets. It's easy and a very good meal. I have had good tasting browns and bad. I think keeping your catch cold and filleting asap is the biggest factor in good fish flavor. Mick