Johnson vs Yamaha 4 stroke kicker

shadster

I'm looking at getting a kicker and have two that are a year apart and lightly used. What would be the best choice between  9..9 hp 2005 Johnson electric start or a 2006 Yamaha  manual start. My thoughts are that Johnson is no longer making motors and Yamaha seems to be everywhere in my area if service is needed. They/it would be going on a 16 ft Alumacraft. alongside a 60/45 Mercury Jet.

Either will work. Johnson isn't made anymore but Evinrude still produces the parts as most of the new Evinrudes still use the same Johnson parts. I have heard a lot of horror stories of the Yamaha motor but also heard some good things. I haven't heard anything bad about Johnson. I'm pretty sure if the electric start will charge your battery while trolling, not sure about the Yamaha.

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

Edited by Chas0218

I went with the Yamaha after consulting with a few well respected mechanics here and locally. As it turned out it was a much better deal after negotiating with the seller. Now it is just a matter of finding the right bracket to mount it..

Like mentioned above, Johnson/Evinrude share identical parts and the Evinrude parts for a few years to follow might also work. In 2010 Evinrude signed with Tohatsu to build everything 15hp and below (I think beginning production with the 2011 model year). Evinrude decided it wasn't profitable to bring the E-tec technology down to the lower HP motors as once planned.

Either way- I'd guess parts for the year you're looking at will be available for quite some time. It wouldn't factor into the decision if it were me because Evinrude is still around with no end in sight.

Edited by Meals-On-Reels