Black Biting Flies while trolling on Lake Ontario

wear wool socks,from bass pro.....they are heavy socks and they can't bite through them....used them for yrs....they are hot in the summer but they work well.....they are the red head socks

I just got an email from the" Buggman" , at Buggspray .  They replaced the original formula with the  " no fragrance " variety . It looks like the same ingredients without the strong smell . I ordered 2 bottles to get ready for july/august . I hope it works as well as the original .

the buggspray works great, we used it Sunday...

Hmmmm...they won't ship this stuff to Canada.

Back to the flyswatters....

Cheers...Jake

• 3 months later...

Just ordered two bottles (funny, the main website says it has 4 oz and 1 oz size bottles, but when you finally get to the ebay page...they only list the 1 oz size.

Either way...won't know for sure if it even works until next year, but since we spend a few weeks in the Adirondacks where the ankle biters are just so thick (100% deet doesn't even do the trick...they just bit through it) if it works, it's worth $4 an oz.

• 3 weeks later...

Use 10% Permethrin (livestock insecticide), dilute it first, 2/3 oz. to 1 gallon H2O. It may not be 100% against these buggers, but it sure beats most other off-the-shelf repellents.

Entomologists say that there are 2 thousand varieties of these pests...so keeping them at bay will be a daunting task.

Frank Forester writes in Fish and Fishing that, " he has never fished for the red fleshed trout of Hamilton County, NY being deterred there from by the black fly, which to him is especially venemous."

Cheers, DocWet [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

Edited by DocWet

• 1 year later...

Nessmuk's Black Fly Dope

3 oz. Pine Tar

2 oz. Castor Oil

1 oz. Pennyroyal Oil

Never been known to fail. Once carried soap and towels on a 6-week woods tramp...and never used either a single time after this varnish is applied. (Nessmuk)

Entomologists say there are over 2000 varieties of the black fly and they all bite.

Simmer together and bottle for use.

All ingredients available on Ebay for about $ 13.00.

post-151541-0-08026400-1420808900_thumb.jpg

post-151541-0-72255300-1460988963.jpg

Edited by DocWet

Only thing worse than them things is a group of buddies when the fishing sucks stomping on them all over the boat. By the time you get back to clean them off theyve been burnt on to everything.

I'm with ya man! Black specs all over the nonslip decks! You need a wire brush and acid to get the crap off!

the buggspray works great, we used it Sunday...

I used the buggspray both on the lake, and in the Adks, and it works.    I won't say it's 100%, but it's darn close to 95% effective.    They still show up, they still check your ankles and feet out, but they don't land and bite often enough to really notice them.

Again, make sure you get the "biting fly" formula, and not the regular mosquito repellent mix.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buggspray-Biting-Fly-Repellent-25-Deet-4-oz-Pump-/201130340577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed44d70e1

Edited by JimB

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picaridin Insect repellent. The brand we use is made by Sawyer. All the boats in my area are using it with good results. I can finally wear shorts again. Charter boats claim they haven't lost any clients since they started using it. We buy it at Walmart or online.

Edited by Storm Junkie
Forgot to post photo