Lake Trout abundance this year

I would disagree with that.  The kings this time of year (spring and first half of summer) are excellent eating.  Once they start getting dark in mid-late August, they start dropping off from an eating perspective.  If all someone has ever tried was a nasty black mud hen in late August/September or even worse, those half dead zombies in the rivers, I could certainly understand not appreciating the fine eating quality of these fish.

Tim

I agree with Tim 100%.  We've been consuming salmon from Lake O for 30 years and last night we had some fresh filets and my wife commented they were the best she had ever had, melted in your mouth. 

She also commented how some people would have to pay $40/lb to get salmon that wasn't any where near as good.  I hope she never calculates how much it cost us per lb. 

My statement was that I dont hear about anyone commenting on eating the Kings and whether or not they are good. I didnt mean that they arent good. Like I said, I have never had one out of Lake O so I have no opinion yet

I second Paul Czarnecki's comments.....those of us who still remember when the salmon weren't the target species (or weren't even introduced into the lake yet for that matter) have an appreciation for each species...they all have their strengths and weaknesses but variety is the spice of life and let's remember the lakers were originally the NATIVE species in the lakes (before they were decimated years ago)...the Pacific salmon are not even truly fresh water fish... they have been forced to adapt to living in it during the major part f their life cycle. 

Edited by Sk8man

Haven't had a bad fish yet and I think Atantic is the only one I haven't tried.  Like any wild game, putting some care into keeping and cleaning your catch makes a big difference when you go to eat it. Most get released but the best eaters are the small to medium guys. 

I like to grill some when it's fresh and unfrozen and use a Foodsaver to freeze the remainder of the day's catch.  Once there's a decent supply in the freezer (end of July, maybe?), I'm mostly just Derby fishing. Oh - Muskybob's Adirondack Chowder is insanely good, by-the-way and a great way to use up a pound or two of fillets!       

Mortigan, that sounds great. I love chowder and hell I am a native Adirondacker...The Great lakes trolling book that  I have read 3x now says that early season spring Coho is the best eating fish..?

I'd read the same but honestly, I'd have to do a taste test to verify. They're all somewhat different in taste, consistency & oil levels but all yummy in their own way. I grilled half a fillet of salmon (the one I caught with Jolly) on a cedar plank with a sweet\spicy rub, served four and our guests (a fishing Michigan gal & her husband) said it was the best...

Pacific Salmon are considered one of the top food fish in the world, when taking into account the rich flavor, nutritional value, and the omega 3's. Some people don't care for the oily fish compared to Walleye and perch, but it's usually in the way they are prepared. 

Unfortunately, there are still too many people who have only had Salmon that were dark and from a warm tributary. 

True..a lot of folks have never tried smoked fish either (of any variety) and smoked salmon is almost addictive once you've tried it and it has been done right after soaking in a good brine.

Pacific Salmon are considered one of the top food fish in the world, when taking into account the rich flavor, nutritional value, and the omega 3's. Some people don't care for the oily fish compared to Walleye and perch, but it's usually in the way they are prepared. 

Unfortunately, there are still too many people who have only had Salmon that were dark and from a warm tributary. 

true. the only thing to add here is freshness of the fish. the older it gets, the more fishy it smellsand tastes. i have served fish to so many people that 'dont like fish' only to have them enjoy it. they always want to know the secret to which i tell them there is none as long as you serve it fresh and cook it properly

As we all know and is a FACT is we have a world class fishery and all the fish taste great in there young stages of life. Lets promote it instead of pretending it has a problem when really has no problem. All species have population cycles which go up and down which gives balance to the eco-system as a whole. I'm sure plenty of clients would agree that they are just happy to get a fish of any species when they are paying to go on a charter. Sure, they would love a screaming drag with a huge king on the line. But to catch a few lakers is a whole lot better than a boat ride. JMO

Edited by FINDERS KEEPERS II

An additional thing to add is to bleed the fish right after catching it and  get rid of the dark lateral line when you filet it. If you freeze the filets do it in water in ziplocks with no visible air in the bag. I have had trout and perch filets three years later and they were delicious....(thaw them naturally in cold water not by microwave)

I would say for all the years Ive fished here i have probably eaten a total of 10 lbs of salmon/brown etc. lol.

I give most of it away, Everyone who I have passed it onto loves the stuff. If you do like fish particularly

Salmon I think its fine even in the fall. The only real difference seems to be the color. Taste wise thats up to the beholder.

When I eat it it is smoked. I love catching one and throwing it in the smoker once I get back to dock. Might even do that tonight if I catch one lol..

I cant answer why Lakers are abound this year. Size wise either. But they are there and that is really what is being caught for now.

Nobody answered my bleeding question. Do you just slit the gills to bleed the fish if you are gonna keep it?

Yes, just slit the gills and then into the cooler the fish goes. Cooler has a few inches of water in it along with the ice jugs.