Sandy Creek Weekend of 6/22

I was spouse-free all weekend so my goal was to be on the water every second possible! My normal fishing buddy, the one who I had planned the weekend with was struck by a summer flu bug, so I made some phone calls to fill in spots at the last minute. Ended up fishing with Bob (mortigan), My sister, some old friends, my mom and dad, and even by myself for a while. 

With Bob:

Got out first thing in the morning looking for a king bite. As everyone has experienced out of sandy, the screen from 80 - 100 was absolutely stacked with bait and actively feeding fish. We dropped two wires with spinny/fly and two riggers with spoons and free sliders. We eventually added a 10 color core pulling a clean spoon and a flatline with a bright colored stick bait. We could see fish and baitfish breaking the surface - steelies we thought, but we tried everything and could not get a fire. We fished all morning with nothing to show for it, all the way out to 250ish in front of the nose.  1pm we headed back to where our screen was good and decided to try and slay the sea chickens. That we did. Don't remember the count, I think a dozen in about an hour or so. I had to drop Bob off at the dock, so decided to head out again by myself. I went on to hit about 17 more with the high 17lbs. First time fishing alone, and man is it a lot of work keeping the boat straight and being doubled up on fish! 

post-142596-0-77588200-1372161383_thumb.pngpost-142596-0-66768500-1372161394_thumb.pngpost-142596-0-92083300-1372161360_thumb.jpg

With my Parents and sister:

Pretty much same story... no silver bite at all, not for lack of trying though! went out to 450 this time with a blank screen most of the way. Had solid temp down 50 with nobody home. Went back through my normal summer salmon grounds again, with nothing. Why does this year have to be back to normal? This was my mother's first time out, so I really had to do something to keep her interest. We headed in to see the screen still looks great. All fish successful C&Red. My mother pulled in a beautiful 19lber and was a pro at getting to the rod quickly and reeling it in properly! I was really impressed. 

post-142596-0-59801100-1372161368_thumb.jpg

With old Friends:

Took out an old friend and his brother - started at 6am. Sunday the lake was a sheet of glass, and there were only like 3 other cars at the launch, and i think only one other had a trailer. I could not stinking believe that nobody was out. Anyway - same story as above. Tried to get some silvers, ended up with a spunky steelie on an NBK spoon down 40 in about 130. Lakers were to be had up to about 15lbs. My friend Eric and his brother Brian have an outdoors video company, and provide content for TV and internet. They filmed the whole trip with some underwater shots, etc. I am excited to see how some of that turns out, and even more excited to get them back out in July and August when the kings are around consistently. 

post-142596-0-06962900-1372161376_thumb.jpg

Overall the weekend was great, many good memories made. 

Good report!  We struggled for silver bites as well on Saturday morning.  But the chickens kept everybody on the boat busy and happy. 

Hopefully we can get some more silver fish this weekend.