Keuka Keuka Carp

Got my "birthday carp" yesterday.

2vipipv.jpg

Not as many around this year though. I hear there are at least a few bow hunters targeting them in the shallows at night with big spotlights from boats. Any idea if its legal to bow fish at night?

While I think carp are great sport fish and a ton of fun to catch, I also understand that bow fishing for them is legal. I don't understand killing something you're aren't going to use, but to each their own, I guess. My real question is: is it legal to target them at night, with spotlights, in close proximity to cottages? If not, I'll probably make a call next time I see it.

Edited by keukakatch&release

From the DEC Website --- "No person shall discharge a firearm or long bow within 500 feet from a dwelling house, farm building or farm structure actually occupied or used, school building, school playground or occupied factory or church." Additionally, many local jurisdictions have ordinances that prohibit the discharge of a firearm (including long bows) within their jurisdiction.

As far as bow fishing for carp at night with a spot light, i did not find any information on whether that was legal or not.

Bowfishing

Any person who has a fishing license or a small game hunting license or is entitled to fish without a license may take carp of any size and in any number by longbow (recurve or compound) from May 15 through September 30 from any water of the state where fishing and the discharge of a bow is permitted. Taking fish by bow is otherwise prohibited.

Above from DEC website.    Assume standard discharge distance of 500ft unless permitted by dwelling owner.  Also it is bow fishing not bowhunting, so general fishing regs would apply(no nightime restriction)

Any person who has a fishing license or a small game hunting license

If they only had small game hunting could they hunt them after dark ???  Just seems like they should have both but if they only had the hunting would they be held to hunting laws...............

Great pic and nice catch!   

I ran into a bow guy this spring- he said he put them in his manure pile to add to the fertilizer.  That's using them I guess, though it's my opinion that if hunters don't shoot animals unless they intend to eat them, the same standards should apply to fish.  Or if there were a market for carp pelts.

But that's my opinion and not that of the state.  They are regarded as a nuisance by the DEC, and while reading about baitfish collection the regs specifically state any carp (or lamprey) netted by commercial bait fish collection should be destroyed.  I think it would take a great deal of effort to make a big dent in the population and I hope you're just experiencing the randomness of fishing.

Even if it was considered hunting, there is currently species that are legally hunted at night with aid of lights. If they are shooting to close to your building just let em know you are willing to report them. Nice fish OP

Thanks for all the replies. These guys are cruising in the shallows at dock length from the shore using a loud generator to power super bright lights. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if they are truly targeting carp, as I haven't seen em land one yet. The bass fry have hatched around my dock finally, so the hens are gone, but there are still protective males around. Ya never know. I may have to do so late night saw belly catching and see if I can figure out what's what. I've seen the boats in the cove by the Viking, but never close enough to get a good look at what's actually going on. Neighbor said he thought they were spearing carp, which would be illegal if I read the rules correctly.

I would guess that they are bowfishing.  It is legal at night, BUT the 500 foot rule applies, and in some locales it may be further or not at all.  I see it rarely on Otisco when Im walleye trolling at night, but I do see it.  They cover a lot of water fast and don't shoot too often.  Im a bowhunter and have a bowfishing rig, but haven't had it with when they have been handy.  Im not willing to shine halogens or use a noisy generator or shoot near shore so its been a calm sunny day thing on a mud flat well off shore and have the carp there when my bow was handy.  No shots yet...I plan on a few for the garden...

justin

• 3 months later...
I just bought a place on Keuka near Olney Place and was looking at older posts for Keuka-specific info. when I saw this older post on carp hunting. My fly fishing group in Big Flats is very concerned about this trend also.  We used to catch them in the Chemung and this year there were practically none. We also saw several bow hunting rafts/boats with multiple archers on the river, multiple times, and unlike those who were in the discussion here, they littered the riverbank with dead carp all summer long.  Plus carp do not repopulate quickly, a mature carp like the one in the photo could take 15-20 years to reach that size.  Our club has written a 'carp manifesto' of sorts calling for recognition of common carp (not asian silver or bighead) as a game fish and managing it accordingly. The biggest issue we see if no limit on taking. In PA there is a 50 fish limit, and we have reports of some people there 'limiting out' more than once in a summer. That is a lot different than killing a few each year for your garden.  If you any are interested I can email it to you. Just send me a PM. 

PS there was an electrofishing boat doing aquatic surveys of lakes and rivers in NY this summer, under contract to EPA/F&WS.  I ran into them on the Chemung and talked to them. They were doing a different location every day and if they did Keuka at all it would have been only 1-2 times, and different locations each time.

Lively1, thanks for bringing this up and it prompted me to check on something I've been meaning to.  I've seen guys bowfishing in a few of my favorite carp spots in the spring.  Not a boatful like you mention but one or two.  If it's legal and not wasteful then okay do your thing, but like you I'm concerned about leaving dead fish around, I don't think that's okay.  

I did talk to one guy who said he uses them for fertilizer, so that part is fine if true, but these guys were bowfishing within the City of Ithaca.  I always wondered about that and just looked it up- it is definitely not legal to discharge a bow (or any weapon) within the City.  If any of you are reading this or know them, please be aware of this fact!  In the future I'll tell those bowfishing about the law, and if they don't stop, will be making a call.  There are plenty of places to find carp if you wish to bowfish, just don't do it in Ithaca.

§ 219-1. Discharge restricted.

A. No person shall discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, slingshot or other instrument or weapon within the city...

B. Except pursuant to the provisions of § 336-22 of Chapter 336, Parks and Recreation, no person shall discharge, fire or use archery equipment of any kind or nature whatsoever upon any public property of the City of Ithaca.

(336-22 excepts the use of archery equipment for classes in Stewart Park.)

I have to chime in here the invasive species CARP are a great fertilizer and if you want a green garden and grow great strawberries kill a pile of carp in the south end of LIBERAL ITHACA and fertilize your strawberries with them, then sell your "green" strawberries to Wegmans or the "green" market in Ithaca.  Or go freegan and put your sign out and beg for money!     Really a bowfishing bow cannot be discharged in Ithaca "on the water" get real!  Or if you have a problem with kids having fun and just want to yell at us for shooting our "bows and arrows" then maybe you shouldn't rent your little cottage for the weekend.......   Just saying      BTW   I did not take my kids back to some great spots to bowfish the mentioned areas. Why because of the same people infringing on our rights ,  give an inch take a mile!   City limits should end at the waters edge!  Oh wait I did see a guy on the water with a dog begging for food and maybe a beer...... NOT

No need to bring politics into this. I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to discharge a weapon of any sort within most metropolitan areas, not just Ithaca.  The law isn't there to protect the carp, they're thinking of all the kids, people, and pets that frequent these areas.  I'm sure we all want some laws to be different, I know I do, but if you have a major problem with one go ahead and try to get it changed.  In the meantime it's the law.

Ok so you probably do not support archery in schools either...   Wait those kids are discharging a weapon inside a school.   Sheriff Hermit do some arresting!!! 

Look man I don't know why you're trying to pick a fight.  You don't know me or what I do or do not support. 

All I've said on this topic is that shooting anything in the City of Ithaca is against the law, and that I don't believe those who choose to hunt carp with a bow should waste them by leaving them to rot.  Waste is a big no-no in the hunting community, right?  So why should this be any different?  Don't waste what you shoot and follow the law. Other than that, enjoy your outdoor experience.  That's all you know about what I think. I admit I'm a stickler for the rules/law but what's wrong with that?

I enjoyed archery in school, and shot a longbow for a while when I was younger.  While I don't actually hunt myself, I've thought about starting and we allow our neighbors to hunt on our land.  Sometimes he gives us venison and I enjoy eating it.  I used to average just under 23 / 25 when skeet shooting.  I don't know why I'm bothering to justify myself and I'm done talking about it.  Have a great weekend! :)

Not meaning to pick on Hermit or anyone.  I just believe that all of us should question the law and what it stands for.   Many schools have archery programs and I am not sure of Ithaca but if the kids are shooting in school my point would be they are breaking a law.  I also apologize to Hermit cause I know you are a good guy. I was just venting over an incident we had on Cayuga while we were bowfishing.  My bad

kuekakatch&release......Beautiful carp, man.......NNniiiiiiccce!! I love the way those guys get so big and do seem to work well with other, sometimes more "desirable" species. Most places I have fished in NYS often have some stunningly large carp. And they don't seem to be any hindrance at all to other fish in the neighborhood. From the excellent waters of the Cohocton, Oatka, and Wiscoy, to all of the fingers and just about anywhere. Most people do not indulge in pursuing them in favor of the sexier trout, bass, walleye and Esoscidae, and many still like to call them a "trash" or "garbage" fish, Close observation over time has shown, at least to me, no big negative impact on the fishing for the more respected species. True Rodney Dangerfields in many folk's eyes. And some people take this a step further by showing outward disrespect for them (and other folks,too) by tossing them around after killing them. Like they MUST bash them because they are doing some good. Yeah, maybe for the flies.... :P . Many fish species are "invasive", including rainbows, browns and kings. By the hand of the most invasive, you and me...And I definitely don't want to see silver or bighead carp, which feed in a totally different way (phytoplankton; like grown up baby fish), unlike common or grass carp. Again kuekakatch&release.....Swwweeeet fish  :yes:  !

• 2 weeks later...

kuekakatch&release......Beautiful carp, man.......NNniiiiiiccce!! I love the way those guys get so big and do seem to work well with other, sometimes more "desirable" species. Most places I have fished in NYS often have some stunningly large carp. And they don't seem to be any hindrance at all to other fish in the neighborhood. From the excellent waters of the Cohocton, Oatka, and Wiscoy, to all of the fingers and just about anywhere. Most people do not indulge in pursuing them in favor of the sexier trout, bass, walleye and Esoscidae, and many still like to call them a "trash" or "garbage" fish, Close observation over time has shown, at least to me, no big negative impact on the fishing for the more respected species. True Rodney Dangerfields in many folk's eyes. And some people take this a step further by showing outward disrespect for them (and other folks,too) by tossing them around after killing them. Like they MUST bash them because they are doing some good. Yeah, maybe for the flies.... :P . Many fish species are "invasive", including rainbows, browns and kings. By the hand of the most invasive, you and me...And I definitely don't want to see silver or bighead carp, which feed in a totally different way (phytoplankton; like grown up baby fish), unlike common or grass carp. Again kuekakatch&release.....Swwweeeet fish :yes: !

Thanks man! I love to catch em, so I treat em as well as I would a trout or bass. Quick pic, usually while I'm in the water, and back they go... Gotta respect the fight they put up!