Keuka Keuka Carp

That looks like a great birthday present that you gave yourself!

About carp being a trash fish,it is in the eye of the beholder. Anybody with eastern european ancestry or chinese for that matter,will find that pickled or smoked carp was a big part of their grand parents diet.

The pickling dissolved the small bones. I know some people with a pond in their backyard who will catch carp and put them in their pond feeding them corn for a week or 2. The mud taste is gone by then and they do taste just fine.

Yeah, I don't often see reports, even in the panfish section, from carp fishing fans in this forum. I know they are out there. I used to be one in my youth. Going out and grappling with bruising carp with 15lb line, bell or some kind of sinker at the end with 3 hooks tied in about 8-10 in apart up from it. Bait with canned corn (great to eat when U got the munchies, too :P ), doughballs from a fresh loaf of bread, or even a lb. of bacon (small pieces..it used to be cheap!) from the package store on the way to the lakes. I'm referring to local lakes and ponds down on Long Island where I used to live as a child. A state park had several of the best fishing waters on the island, just about a casual 20-25min walk from my home. Big largemouth bass, jumbo perch, fat pumpkinseeds, really big pickerel and nice carp (regular, leather and mirror). And through a wetland area that, in the bustle of NYC suburbs, really made you feel you were around the Okefenokee or the Everglades without too much imagination. Setting the rods down against a stick or just laid on the shore. What was even neater was the occasional carp that might drag your rig straight into the drink if you were un-attentive! You gotta go in and try to find it by kicking around blindly in the muddy leaf littered bottom muck in the hopes of not losing your stuff! Happened to me once and I was able to retrieve it and haul in a nice 7-8 lb-er! Hey Chad.....how's about a "Those other fish" section like what used to be in In Fisherman magazine. That was always the first subject I'd read (and not nearly long enough).... :thinking: .? A good friend of mine hauled in a grand 35lb carp in Seneca lake just about five or six years ago while going for lakers.....Awesome!

• 1 year later...

For everyone who does not know bowfishing at night is perfectly legal and the rule is 150 feet from a home or dwelling. I absolutely love bowfishing there is nothing in the world that compares to it up till someone calls the fuzz because they don't know what we are doing and feel its not legal that's normally a mood killer so if you guys see us out there bowfishing and we are close enough you guys should stop us and talk with us I cant speak for everyone but I know I like talking to people about it and spreading the word about it because after all you don't know what its all about till you actually try it. And finally about what we do with the carp when we are done most of us either use them for compost/fertilizer or coyote bait. and I have one question that may upset people and if it does then I'm sorry but I have to ask why is bowfishing a big deal but catch and release is perfectly acceptable I fail to see the point in the endless cycle of ripping a hook through the lip and then putting them back just to do it again talk about torture at least with the arrow Its one shot and its done. I hope I have clarified things for some people if you have any questions about the wonderful sport of bowfishing please feel free to ask.