Brown trout question

So I happened to be out trolling last night and hooked into a brown.  Ended up being 12 pounds and a nice looking football.  I text some friends who all said I should get it mounted.  My first thought was, while being a nice fish, wasn't a monster truly worthy of putting on the wall.  I just want to get everyone else's opinion if I should have put this on the wall.

There is a bit more to the story, but I want to hear everyone's unbiased opinion first before I divulge the "whole truth".

Thanks

post-143670-0-90679900-1372206778_thumb.jpg

Nice looking fish. I don't think you made a bad decision personally. Unless you don't fish lake o too often or were looking to get a brown mount. Although its a nice short fat looking fish so woulda been a bit cheaper assuming they charge by inches where you'd take it but you're still looking at 300 or so. I've caught 6 or 7 over 12 in 11 yrs on the lake. You may get another chance.

Any fish that is a trophy to any individual is worth mounting regardless of its size or what anybody else thinks about it! Its better to have a fish on the wall, rather than wishing you did down the road!   IMO......

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

I was kind of thinking "what's a good fish for Ontario".  And I know I've seen some larger ones.

Here's the rest of the story.  I picked this guy while I was fishing for walleye on Lake Erie.  By all measure this was a trophy for our neck of the woods, but if I'm going to put one on the wall I want it to be a "holly crap" kind of fish.  By the same token though I've filleted up similar trophies(30lb kings and a couple 11-12lb walleye), including at least one all tackle world record burbot.  I guess I'm just a nut.  If I want something to hang on the wall I'll go where the "big fish are".  I just wanted to see how you all thought this stacked up for Ontario...  Even though it wasn't even in the same body of water.

Edited by Trap Jaw

surely not the biggest in the lake but I know where you are coming from...i have caught many fish with a great story behind it and wondered if I should do the same thing.  Last year I shot a buck which wasn't my biggest in my life but the amount of work and effort and years I put into getting a deer in this area I decided to have it mounted for just the memory and effort I had to go through to get him.  Just my opinion!

We caught a beautiful 16.1 pounder yesterday. It certainly was mount worthy but due to cost and lack of wall space decided not to mount it. I also believe it's an individual decision. What is the fish of a lifetime for one may be just a nice fish for another. Anything over 10 is a nice fish.

If your on the fence about it then you made the right decision not to mount it. That's a tank for Erie, and their new stocking programs for BT seem to be working nicely. Nice fish BTW!

I've always told myself it had to be over 15lbs for me to mount a BT, but with the amount of pigs were seeing I'm leaning more towards 17/18lbs.

Edited by Yankee Troller

I guess the decision is sort of like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" . What is worthy of mounting to a charter captain or long time sport fisherman may be very different from the "fish of a lifetime" caught by a novice angler. Important components of the decision relate to affordability and whether or not you have adequate room to display it without ticking off your girlfriend or wife...sometimes the cellar or garage does not offer the best ambiance for viewing by friends :lol: Another thing to consider is who is going to mount it and what kind of job they can do (since a considerable amount of money is involved).....I've seen mounts that looked like "fake fish" looking like it was an 8th graders school project vs. something like the "works of art" displayed by Paul Czarnecki on this website....a big difference....

Edited by Sk8man

Important components of the decision relate to affordability and whether or not you have adequate room to display it without ticking off your girlfriend or wife...sometimes the cellar or garage does not offer the best ambiance for viewing by friends :lol:

First problem here is letting your Wife or GF tell you a fish mount isn't allowed in the house. I have a few of these buddies and I just shake my head. 

Interesthing thread. I always said 13+ Brown and I will get it mounted. Did a 14.5 a few weeks ago and decided not to. My biggest reason is I just dont have the right place to put it. I don't really have a sports room and my office is not the right place. Purely personal though. Every fish has it's own story.

35lb King will be a different outcome.....

The best part is catching it and having the decision to make!

instead of mounting it you can always send the pic of you and the fish to a place that does stick on vinyl graphics. they can blow it up to whatever size you want and put it on your wall. they are very reasonable. i have some of me and my son with fish that cost in the $40 to $60 range