Barcelona harbor eyes

DJ 17

A few buddies and I are planning our annual Erie pilgrimage to Barcelona early next week ( weather permitting!)  I was just wondering if anyone could share some info on where to start and what to try?  In the past we have done well renosky's and willow leaf harnesses.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  Also, what channel do you guys usually run on the radio?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis.. I just spoke with my buddy who charters out of Barcelona and he said the bite has been pretty slow there. He's getting some decent eyes, but the main herd hasn't arrived yet. The bite is still really hot out west around Conneaut. It shouldn't be long before it starts picking up on our end. The above post is right on as far as baits and depths, although my preference is a bit deeper water. I seem to have my best luck well west of the harbor.. between red roof and the PA line. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Thanks guys. 

Chris,

Thanks for the info.  The area where you are talking is right where we concentrate most of our time as well.  I'm not really liking the forecast of possible thunderstorms everyday, so I will have to keep an eye on that.  I usually use NOAA and weatherunderground.   Are they fairly reliable forecasts for down there or do you guys rely on something different?  In my experience, if they call for 1-3 footers its closer to 2-4, etc...  We usually have the best luck on firetiger and perch patterns, any other suggestions?

thanks again,

Dennis

Dennis.. We haven't found any more reliable source for weather forecasts than you use. They all seem to underestimate the wave heights. At least by heading west you can ride them back to the harbor if it's the usual west wind. As for colors.. my go to is purple or pink.. or a combo like watermellon. Good Luck.. hope the weather holds out for you. Sluggo (Chris)

Chris,

With all the bad weather, and so so fishing reports we have decided to postpone our trip for a little while and wait for things to settle down a little bit.  We called the Barcelona harbormaster yesterday and he confirmed what you said.  There are a few fish there but they haven't arrived in big numbers yet. 

Ray,

Were you asking Chris or me about bingo?

Ray.. So far we've been lucky. The real heavy rain has been north and east of us. Our river's way up there, but doesn't look like she's going to spill over.

DJ.. Probably a wise choice to hold off. We should be starting our journies out in about three weeks so I'll be able to post some more personal reports then.

Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)