How low can you go?

I want to put one more rod in the spread in the tail gunner position for spring and summer salmon. I usually run four riggers and two wire dipsy’s off the sides. I’ve read all the posts about copper as being the best way to get to that deep/cold water way away from the boat.

Another rig I’ve heard of is to add a clip on lead weight (2 to 8 oz. depending) about 100 ft above the lure to a wire rod and let it back similar lengths to copper and remove the weight when landing the fish. (Thumper?)

Finally, after having some luck with slide divers this year; why couldn’t you run a slide diver on super line off a DR rod? You could have about 150 feet of 30 lb mono to the swivel with 5 ft of leader to run the slide diver on. Due to the flea issue later in the season, I’ve thought about doing it with wire and a slide diver but not sure how the wire and mono would work together.

My question is, at the 0 setting with the slide diver, can you get to that 100+ ft depth with super line and how is copper different as a delivery device? I hear lots of guys talk about dragging 600 ft of copper on a heavy set up and it doesn’t sound fun. Couldn’t you get that same stealth delivery to the same depth with less total line out and with less weight to haul in? Also, I can get that rig in the water next spring for about $25 vs. a hole new copper set up.

Any opinions? :? Thanks

The problem I see with a dipsey straight back is the interfrence if you get a hit on one of your riggers. Seems like that line would be in the way, and you wouldn't want to bring it in everytime you have a fish on another setup.

I use lead core. If i want to get real deep I fasten a weight (even up to a pound ) where the lead core meats the leader. I use about 50 feet of mono as a leader, and back the leadcore with superbraid.

If you get a hit on another rod, just move it to one side or the other accordingly.

I call it the widow maker. Not really the most sporty of setups, but it does get fish.

I ran a slide diver down the chute for a few years prior to copper. It works well, but not as stealthy as copper or core. One thing to remember about running anything down the chute is make sure you have the hands available to move it around the back of the boat or clearing it when fighting a fish. Copper catches fish and I will never deny that. If I didn't fish tourneys or charter I probably wouldn't run it as much or at all. With the new slide divers out you can add a 4oz weight and a ring to achieve depths of over 100'. So, give it a try!

PlayPenn, Try running A DR rod with 30# mono and a slide diver. Run your lure as far behind the diver as you want, and lock it down. Set the diver on three. Let out 30-40ft. of line and stack it on your downrigger cable. Set it good and tight in the release so the diver releases first. It won't interfere with the other divers and you can go as deep as you want. I know its a down and out. Good luck.

Thanks for all the ideas, now I have lots more to think about. I can’t wait to test depths with these various rigs early in the season. After the inshore bite for browns slows, I like to go deeper and find bottom with various setups. Last year I was able to get the wire dipsy going a little. I’ll have to make up my mind on how to run the shoot by LOC time. 8)