Cayuga Cayuga 6/26

Started trolling around 7:15pm yesterday north of deans cove and put down doubles on the rigger and seth green on the other side also dropped a copper line down as well with twin minnow in the middle.  Started at around 80' immediately got a nice brown on the seth green about 30 feet down.  Moved in to about 65 fow Dropped it back down and about 2 minutes later brought in a 26" laker on the bottom spoon on seth green.  I was getting hits all night on the seth green.  Had a big one on the 2nd leader from the bottom that broke my leader and stole one of my favorite spoons.  I have been running 12 lb test florocarbine leaders on the seth green but now considering bringing the test up a bit heavier on my leaders.  I feel as though I have had much more action on it since I went to a lighter test but certainly not worth losing nice fish either.  Surprisingly had very little action on my copper line, honestly I blame the weeds for this, they are really coming in now. My buddy and I finished the evening out at about 8:30pm with 1 19" rainbow, 1 20" brown, 1 19" landlock and 4 lake trout 22"-26".  Blue and silver spoons did all the work.  Brought 2 lakers off the bottom on my down rigger and everything else on the seth green.  Hopefully this helps.

we were also fishing out of deans cove yesterday 2 riggers 2 dispy/flasher-flys 2 on the boards and  1core out the chute this was around 5:45 then after ten min or so of fishing a storm came out of the north  we just made it back to the dock and loaded up when the storm hit after talking we decided to head home as it looked like the rain band was not going to let up when we hit Seneca falls blue skys maybe we should of waited it out ......

If your using floro line now step up to the floro leader material much more $$$$$ but worth it.......when I was using the line I had to relace or retie because of weak spots most every outing that the fish were hiting..............

I don't use floro. I think all of it is garbage, Tested and wasted enough of my money to find that out. It all breaks with knots.

Then you are buying junk line or not tying your knots properly. Fluoro needs to be WELL lubricated or it will burn and cut itself. High quality lines like Blood Run or Gamma DO NOT break for no reason and are hardly "junk".

Blood Run and Berkley Professional fluoro are great stuff and never just break. I wouldn't use Vanish if they paid me to. Like Paul said, make sure you wet the knot liberally before tightening and it'll hold up better than straight mono and you'll also catch more fish.

The11 pound  brown in the pic to the left was landed on a seth green leader of fluorocarbon.(very little stretch)  Dont forget you need to turn into a human       " DRAG"  when hand lining these big fish in.   If he wants to run let him...then work on gathering him back up little by little....then it may be time for another run.  This fish ran 4 times before getting the net. Oh and another thing....leave the Vanish on the store shelf......

Edited by apb

"leave the Vanish on the store shelf......" The point is well taken. I experimented with Vanish for awhile on both Seth Green rigs and downriggers etc. and no matter which knot I used it broke right at the knot (despite lubrication etc.). My hunch is that when looked at under a microscope the line itself may be irregular (not symetrically round) as well as being "brittle" and when these two things are combined at the knot it serves as a "cutting" force as the lines at the break appear more like a cut than a "break" to me. I know the better fluoro leader material is expensive but I think the quality control in its production appears to be much better than the cheap fluoro line. If you add up the loss of a fish and the five or six dollar lure  (or worse yet attractor and lure) it seems worth the money to buy the "good stuff" OR stay with a brand of mono that you know works.

Edited by Sk8man

You guys must be using swivels, I've tried tying it back to back Uni knots for leads and none of it works for me, It all breaks at the knots, Wet or dry, I can get it to work with swivels but I don't like running swivels. I use Berkley Big game 10#  for my leads and it never breaks. Lets get back to the Seth green rig, My brother uses it and kills fish on this rig, Constantly out fishes me with it, He runs two poles off one corner of my boat, I can run everything under the sun off the other side and he just slaughters the fish on the side with the Seth greens, Pain in the rear getting fish in but he gets them. We start off with his rigs to see what the fish want, When we find out, It's all in on what he's using. Riggers, Dipsy's ,Slide divers , Leadcore The hole deal goes with what he's using.

Any given corner of the boat can be a bit better especially on turns because of speed and current issues. Don't be afraid to mess with the rod while trolling...bring it up let it down . Don't forget about blow back if you are wanting to fish right on the bottom. It does not hurt to run that sinker right in the mud stirring things up....that drives lakers crazy...have you ever tried pulling copper? If you want to out fish somebody look into an old Victoria rig!!!

On the Finger lakes Seth Green rigs (if set up right) will out fish most other equipment or methods perhaps with the exception of someone who knows how to pull copper real well or effectively jig in the case of lakers. In most cases it isn't NECESSARY to use flurocarbon line on them either especially if wire is your main line....a little stretch can actually help in that case, and because you are running deep most of the time the effect of line visability is a minimal factor. Once the thermocline sets up running jug rigs run well behind the boat can be real productive on rainbows and browns.

Back to back uni knots. I've boated two kings over 40# and MANY over 30 and have never had one fail. The key to using back to back uni knots is to wet it and DO NOT pull the tag ends until the knots cinch tight. Pulling on the tag ends to tighten uni knots results in a knife effect.

I fish a lot by myself I literally have a copper old Victoria rig in the center and run copper right down the middle and have the most success overall it's almost a guarantee that you catch fish that way every time in these lakes.. I have used Seth greens for a long time and have caught lots of fish that way but never as much as I have since I recently started using flouro line.  I took your advice Billy v and bought the Berkley professional grade to 're-tie my leaders.  It is a talent in its own working in a big trout with a Seth green but my problem wasn't that.. the leader was already snapped by the time I got the rod out of the rod holder and the leaders that I had caught the fish on looked all stretched out after I had caught them.  The leaders also weren't snapped at the knot either but judging how weak the line looked I can see how important the knots would be.  Great conversation though and nice to here that I'm not the only one using these old-school methods.

I have more confidence using flouro with a barrel swivel than back to back unis, and I think the swivel can grab some of the weeds and keep them off your lures longer. I was thinking of tying some for an upcoming cayuga visit do you guys think I should drop the swivel?

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fish-on gave me some Berkley Vanish 10lb. I ran a couple leaders with it yesterday. Knots seemed to hold up ok, I did lube the line up heavily before I pulled them tight. That said, I never caught a big fish on one of those leaders. I tied all my leaders to barrel swivels and never have trouble. They do tend to be a collection point for fleas, and cotton. We did get some fleas over the weekend, not too bad but they were there.

Overall, I decent weekend on Cayuga. Saturday was a little slow. Went 7 for 12, with a 5 lb. Brown on a Dirty White Boy down 46 over 96. Other than that small Lakers and Salmon, mostly on spoons off riggers. Fished 70 FOW to 325 FOW. All fish came between 90 and 125 FOW. Lost one nice one on a Dipsey, with SD and fly.

Sunday was a better day, went 17 for 21. Most of the hits came on a 300 copper with a mountain dew hammerhead and chicken wing scorpion. 75 to 90 FOW. Landed a 7 lb. and a 5.5 lb. Laker off than rig and lost 3. One was a good one lost it 50 ft. behind the boat. Also got a 18 inch Bow and a couple Salmon on a Nuclear Purple Scorpion down 32 ft. on a rigger. Fished out of Long Point, got fish from the park all the way North to the bluff. 1.8 to 2.2 mph seemed to be the best speeds. Good luck to everyone, hope that was a helpful report. Dave

I went to pline with barrel swivels and now have bad line twist on my leaders.

Dick are you running flasher off them  or  a inline spinner??  I have no problem with spoons and barrel swivels inline. All my rods that I run flashers  like BTI's or spin dr. I use a QUALITY ($$$$) ballbearing snap/swivel or I'll get line twist.