BIG O

BJS

Hey All,

Been lurking on this sight for a while and I can't beleive how helpful everyone on this sight is. I think it is awsome people are so helpful here. I have never had any experience trolling before and I have got some good info. from going over threads on this site. The more I read on here the more fasinated with trolling lake ontario I get. So finnally I have planned a trip to Niagra river in mid August. I've fished there once before and on the bar a little. While I'm there I wanted to try to venture into the lake maybe out of Wilson to do some trolling for kings and steelhead. My question is before I even get my hopes up for this would I be foolish for trying to do this with a 14ft Lowe deep v. with a 20horse. I fished the finger lakes before and I know you really have to watch the weather but lake O is a whole new animal to me. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any advise to give me?  

I started out fishing for bass with my dad in the early 70s on a 13' Boston Whaler with a 10hp engine and a 14.5' Grumman with a 25hp engine. Just watch the weather reports and use your head.

For your first trip in August, I'd try an early morning inshore king run out of oak orchard, and if the weather doesn't build during the day, transition to brown trout fishing. If the weather is really flat, you can then venture a bit offshore. When you get some experience with handling and trolling your boat with all your trolling gear out, you'll know what water you can and can't fish.

If early morning is not your thing, consider a trip out of golden hill state park for browns. It a low fishing pressure area between Olcott and Oak Orchard and the bigger trailerable boats avoid it because the opening to the lake is basically just a cut in the beach. It's a great place to launch and fish from smaller boats especially 17' and under.

If the wind looks like it will be too much to fish the lake, then I'd head to the Niagara River.

Edited by John E Powell

90-120 fow is not a far run due north of Wilson. Very possible with calm conditions for your size boat. Hit it early and fish deep with flasher and flies on longish leaders. There will be some kings feeding and staging in that area unless there is a long stretch of onshore wind piling warm water inshore.

It all boils down to the respect of the water. Some days you cant go out in this lake in a 40 footer and be relaxed. Some days you can get out in a 12 footer with a 9 horse. Im guilty of that but you really need to respect the water(s) and their possibilities to determine if you should or should not go out safely with the equipment one has.

examples:

If you show up there and have a southern wind blowing. As you head out of the chute and go north it will seem very calm and easy. No problem put your lines out.....Next thing you know your 3 miles out in 275 and pushing North...When you turn back south you now have 2-3 footers possibly 4 hitting you steadily and at that point one could be in trouble.

You can be out there, it be beautiful and sunny and calm day and a run of severe storm cells can roll right in and your 20 horse will not get you away from the cells quick enough. To be caught in the middle of a cell isnt fun regardless of any size or structure a boat can offer....

Imo Its not just a judgment call....its a respect call...Alot of times I can go out but I stay in because if I know its going to build, my safety is more important than catching any fish...

Edited by mrclean

I'd stick to weekends at first and get yourself a hand held VHF. Why? Because there will always be guys within a few minutes of you on the weekend and with a handheld you'll be able to put out a quick SOS call that will get someone to you in a few minutes should you need it. 

Once you are more familiar with the territory you can think about going out on days and times with less people around. The CG is there, but they can't respond as quick as a guy 1/4 mile from you if need be.

ah the fun of small boats and big water.  watch the weather and get a smart phone so you check real time forcasts while your out there.  trust in your engine is a must the farthur you go the more you have to know it will get you in I also fish a 14 footer but had an iffy 40 horse on it did not like to fish lake O i now have a 7 horse on it that it absolutly dependaple so i will fish lake O in the right condtions.  check the reports and wait for the kings to come in close to the rivers thats when i look to get off of the fingers and back to Lake O than weather permitting you can fish it all fall even when the kings are done there are steelhead and browns around the river and creek mouths all through the winter and into spring.  I like to keep the spinning rods in the car as a back up and you can always fish the bay or river for warm water species.

BJS, WE have fishermen trolling trout and salmon out of Sandy Creehk in Hamlin in Kayaks, pulling dipsys , toplines and thumper rigs..... it all depends on the weather