Ruff Rider Video Tutorial - How to Run Copper

don't no if this a stupid question I just got my first 400 copper this year haven't used it yet and was wondering if u put out a dipsy say 200ft n put the copper on the otter boat it seems it will be above the dipsy how do u keep it from becoming a tangled mess and is there a certain size rubber band

ok so a 40 class then. Would you use a dipsey diver style rod or downrigger?

My preference over the two would be an 8.5 dipsy rod. The tip of most rigger rods is a bit too limber. Especially for anything over 300 feet. I actually have a medium weight 8.5 ft surf rod with plenty of guides, that works ok for the 600. An old Kunan downrigger rod I have works for the 300.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you are using torpedo divers and try to deploy the rig over top of your dipsies with a otter boat. I've been hoping somebody would try this for me.

Might work better with a TX44 so you could let it drop back behind the boat before engaging the reel?

It will be interesting to see what happens when you are using torpedo divers and try to deploy the rig over top of your dipsies with a otter boat. I've been hoping somebody would try this for me.

I'll second that.  The idea of adding a torpedo diver to copper and trying to get it over my wire lines always sounded like a catastrophe waiting to happen.  I never worked up the nerve to try it.

Might work better with a TX44 so you could let it drop back behind the boat before engaging the reel?

Mudflat - I'm probably a wimp on this, but every time I get a copper hit I will reel in all the copper. Next,  I pull the wire dipsy on the same side, then I redeploy the copper, and finally redeploy the wire. I always seem to have tangles when I'm trying to deploy anything over the top of my wires.

Taking this extra step to pull out the wire and set the junk lines first - albeit a PITA - has avoided many a tangle and lost fishing time.

Good luck,

Chris

Chris

I've never had a problem bringing copper over my dipsy's as long as I leave it out down the chute long enough that it stabilizes but I'm too wimpy to try it with a 300 cu and a torpedo.

Let's let Nick do it first, he'll try anything!

It sounds like he has plenty of practice untangling lines:)

haha I definitely have a lot of practice untangling lines!  I ordered 300ft of bloodrun copper from amazon, but now it's saying it won't be here for 2 weeks!  Annoying, so for now I'll have to use some of the left over 100ft pieces of copper I have.  Warrens didn't have any torpedo divers, so I'm hoping screwy louie's or someplace else has them.

Not gonna lie, I'm definitely worried about letting out the copper with torpedo weight when I already have my dipsey out!  I'm actually thinking it may need to go under the dipsey as opposed to over it.

Nick

Dr- it's very easy. I believe if you look at ebay.com and search for tekota drag (they're a carbon fiber drag for 9.99)

There is a link on a step by step on how to replace! Ill see if I can find it for you

Not gonna lie, I'm definitely worried about letting out the copper with torpedo weight when I already have my dipsey out!  I'm actually thinking it may need to go under the dipsey as opposed to over it.

Nick

Nick

When you give this a try make sure the GoPro is running so that we can all share in your pain. :lol:

If we could meet up I would give you one of the torpedo divers I won at last years Salmon Slam !

Roy

Hey Nick,

I remember you had once posted a tutorial on changing out the drag on a Tekota 500. Any chance yoy can post that again?

Thanks,

DR

DR it was fairly easy to do, the tuna tom website had been missing most of its photos when I did mine though. Here is the thread with step by step photos though.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php?/topic/30561-Ruff-Rider-Live-Report-6/23-6/24