starcraft islander 191v ?s

blazinJoe

Im going to take out this islander for the first time tomorrow and as far as checking fluids what else should i ckeck other than the oil.

In the back of the motor there is a bottle(container) full of something what is it for?lm new to the inboard thing and want to make sure everthing is good before i go out on the big lake.So please let me know what i should do and ckeck for .

Thank you

Is it an inboard or inboard/outboars (i/o)? I'm guessing I/O and the bottle is your lube reservoir for your outdrive. Make sure it is filled to the fill line and always carry an extra bottle of it in case you have a leak while you're on the water. The other liquid to check is of course your gas level :)

Well it is an i/o.89 2.5 merc. Cruiser.

I stuck my finger in there and its almost white in color.I take this is not a good thing.so should i drain the fluid and replace it.then take a short drive in it and check it agian.I dont know much about the boat.and also how do you drain the outdrive.

When oil & water are mixed and churned up, it turns tan-ish white.  It's a dead give-away that something needs repair.  Lower units have a large screw on the gear casing - down below the prop, towards the front, for draining oil.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Well i took the drain plug off and drained some gear lube into a coffee can and it is good.no milky color.

So what is that bottle up top behind the motor is it for the lift on outdrive and or steering.

yes that is the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the power trim/tilt.

Tim

What you have there is bad seals in your trim cylinder s. No bid deal cheap fix i installing new seals.suck out all the oil then fill it back up and cycle drive up and down and repeat until you have clean oil in the tank