After not having my boat in the water since early May, it was nice to get her wet again with good friend Dave and put some more slime on the deck. We headed out of the chute around 6AM, pointed her N/E and set down in 80fow to set up on a N/E troll. We ran 2 riggers - one parked at 55 with a moonshine carbon 14 and the other parked at 70 with Bob Fuller KOS. Also ran 2 wires - one at 190 with a dalmation spinny and hammer fly and the other at 160 with a 42nd spinny and fly. At 140fow the dalmation spinny gets wacked and we boat a 10lb king. Shortly after that the carbon 14 gets nailed by a nice steely which porpoises toward the boat and Dave has his hands full. After some "give and take" for a while, he gets it near the boat, but decides to take a left turn into the wire line and gone! In 160fow another king takes the Bob Fuller KOS on the 84' rigger for a ride and ends up in the net at 12lbs. We then had a case of the dropsies and hit and misses and landed about 1 out of 3 for awhile ending the morning at a little better than 50%. We only made a couple spoon changes swapping the carbon 14 out for a SSW which took a couple hits, but the mvp was the Moonshine bad toad which got real hot and accounted for our only double. It was mostly a spoon bite for us with the divers only taking 3-4 fish. We caught mostly kings to 18lbs, one steelhead landed and one laker to end the morning. Our best water was 140 - 160, but did take a few out deeper. A good day on the water despite the rain and hopefully back out this weekend.

Shawn

are you telling me you can't lift these fish in the net like a 5lb spring brown...after my befugle of flippin a nice atlantic outa a nylon net and getting a second(succesfull) attempt with a treble on a spoon, I ant got no room to bash.brought her in green too....whats that saying sometimes its better to be lucky than good....nice report..

WTG Shawn - I've been missing your reports. Glad to hear that you're back on the water.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your success

Be safe,

Chris

Thanks everyone! 

Ray - we've been working on a new technique of flippin fish into the boat and wackin it on the head before it lands in the cooler where we unhook it.  The rod man has to know how hard to "flip" based on size of fish, tiredness of fish, wind speed and direction, wave height, barametric pressure etc.  If he flips too lightly the fish bounces off the transom and is usually lost.  If he flips to hard, the fish can bounce off the drivers head, hit the windshield amongst other things that make a mess.  The "head-wackin" guy has to be in the right position and have good eye-hand coordination in order for the fish to end up in the cooler.  A good swing and miss and he wacks himself in the crotch and it's a good "ball bustin" time.  We don't have it mastered yet (actually not even close) but are havin fun trying.  Any fish that gets off before the net or bounced off the transom,.....well....thats just an "ethical" release.

Joking of course,

Shawn

Maniac told me you were on them in the morning. Tried to look for you so I could ride your coat tail and catch a few. We started slow! Good job bud! When your out there next time give me a shout to compare notes.

Thanks everyone! 

Ray - we've been working on a new technique of flippin fish into the boat and wackin it on the head before it lands in the cooler where we unhook it.  The rod man has to know how hard to "flip" based on size of fish, tiredness of fish, wind speed and direction, wave height, barametric pressure etc.  If he flips too lightly the fish bounces off the transom and is usually lost.  If he flips to hard, the fish can bounce off the drivers head, hit the windshield amongst other things that make a mess.  The "head-wackin" guy has to be in the right position and have good eye-hand coordination in order for the fish to end up in the cooler.  A good swing and miss and he wacks himself in the crotch and it's a good "ball bustin" time.  We don't have it mastered yet (actually not even close) but are havin fun trying.  Any fish that gets off before the net or bounced off the transom,.....well....thats just an "ethical" release.

Joking of course,

Shawn

Yea, no joke....but I tried that with Spring BT and ended up with a broken rod. I was trying to impress the ladies.  :lol: