Mexico Bay/Oswego 6-30-13

Up for my annual vacation at the house for 9 days.

Left the Mexico Point launch shortly before 6:30am after the 12 y/o decided she'd rather sleep in. Ran straight out to about 100fow and began marking fish, some quite large, around 80 down. Dropped (2) lines down on the riggers and let out a dipsey set-up. 5 minutes later, the one rigger rod wearing a white/green glow Dreamweaver flasher with an A-TOM-MIK Mirage fires and begins to take line. Fishing alone can be interesting at times. Unfortunately, the fish got off about 50' from the boat. About 15 minutes later, another rigger rod fires, however that fish got itself off, as well. After spending about 15 minutes untangling a mess, I moved out to 200fow and the screen was filled with all sized marks. I decided to run a (2) dipsey program with a downrigger. The dipseys were the way to go, as they were on fire!!! One side was a Nuclear Green combo, while the other side was a special Pro-Troll white/chrome flasher with a Big Weenie Smooth Cooter fly. The BW dipsey had (2) hits in a matter of 30 minutes. The green did nothing. By 10am, it seems everything shut down, as the screen went blank. Trolled west to east by Oswego in 130-200 and came up empty. I had been trying to call the 12y/o to make sure they were up and doing something productive, however, after numerous failed attempts, picked up and headed in around noon. I got stopped by the DEC at the launch. They told me that of the 15+ boats they'd stopped, only (2) fish were reported.

Going to try it again today, hopefully with the 12y/o along this time.

I fished out there Sunday evening. We went 1-5 on kings. Only landed a juvenile. The other fish were all majors. They would scream out some line....then just come un-buttoned. I fought one on a 500 copper to about 50 ft of copper left and he jumped and gone. That was with a double treble on a cut-bait rig. Most hits on the meat. But Hammertime got pummeled on the wire!

wow, I am just making a lake countour map up of lake O. My measured diestance to hit 50+ feet of water heading NW out of Mexico is 8 miles! that is a pretty shallow area there

The bay is certainly shallow. I have been fishing out of Oswego for over 8 years & never looked back. Once the fish are on the east end Oswego is the shortest run to get to them. The Mexico/ Salmon River area has is pluses once the fish stage in Sept....but so comes the traffic to go with it!

I was also out Sun. Great day for us. 9 for 13 with 6 Kings to 24lbs and 3 Lakers to 18lbs. Thru back the biggest Laker and a shaker King. Flasher/fly off the riggers and dipsys were the best. 135-200fow. 60-120 down. Most everything I put down took fish. I also went thru the creel check and as of about 12:45 they had checked 29 boats and the most anyone brought in was 3 fish and most of those were Lakers. They did check a 26lb King. They also checked 2 charters and the best had 8 fish. Here's a few pics.  

post-141352-0-64048000-1372706300_thumb.jpg

post-141352-0-53142500-1372706339_thumb.jpg

Edited by Total Chaos

what on earth is the fish second one in from the end?also, can anyone tell me the slot size and limit per fisherman per King, Coho, steelhead and browns?

• 2 weeks later...