Is it just me or is the Salmon fishing very weak out of Sodus so far this year. I know it has been slower all over but I am getting flustered because the reports out of Rochester and Oswego seem to be decent. Even Fairhaven is catching their share of Kings. In Sodus it seems like one King per day per boat at the most. Many aren't even getting a hook up with a legal sized King. 

I talked with one Charter Captain that said he has put 250 Lakers in his boat this year so far. Normally he wouldn't even target them if there were any Kings around. I also think the Charter guys and weekend warriors are decimating the Brown Trout population because there aren't many Kings around to target. These Kings need to swing by Sodus before we wipe out all the Lakers and Browns and have nothing left to fish for...

As a side note, the Steelhead and Laker fishing has been much better that the last few years in my opinion. 

Sorry...I just need to vent.

Wayne.....not much different here to your west.  The kings I have caught have been skippies (less than 3-4lbs), one 12lber, and then the three large ones 19, 24 and 25lbs.  I think I have put in about 50-55 hrs in the last 2+ weeks and 3 nice kings and 1 teen? REALLY!!!!    But the number of lakers, steelies and even a couple of browns.....what can you say.  The kings are not schooling in this area yet, but I have to believe its thermocline related.  I really believe it will turn on here in the next week or two.  I am going to try and work some deeper water this week, away from the lakers in 100'fow and see if i can find some more true king action in that 160-225 fow that I traditionally work in this area.  I think i am also gonna start throwing some meat rigs in there for fun!  We shall see!

Jason

In thinking back past the last couple years, this is about normal for Sodus. kings would normally show up just before the pro am. The last couple of years they seemed to show up a couple weeks early. I would say the average explosion of kings would occur around July 8.

In thinking back past the last couple years, this is about normal for Sodus. kings would normally show up just before the pro am. The last couple of years they seemed to show up a couple weeks early. I would say the average explosion of kings would occur around July 8.

I agree with Jeff. This is turning into a regular year in our area. We have seen spurts over the last two weeks of the kings, but you need to find them. Then it has been GAME ON!! Yesterday we were east of Fair Haven, trolled all the way to Oswego without marking hardly anything, turned and started working back west, and BAM! Ran into the mother load of kings and bait! We did 7 in under 2 hours, including fighting a 30+ lb monster for over 30 minutes up to 100' ft behind the boat when the hook popped free. ;(  :punch:  :puke:  Now this east wind has probably messed everything back up real good! :envy:  

This is getting good....kinda like a reality show.... :lol:  and despite the commentary...the Kings are still out there laughing at us....this is why I love this site so much....a whole lot of passion as well as b... busting.... :)

It's all good! Whether it was a 36 lb brute or an 18 lb tazmanian king hooked int he top of its head, it's only a fish story now. However, I can say all four of the 30+ lb kings we boated last year fought just like this one... and the ones the year before that... 8)

Edited by Finders Keepers

Have been fishing kings for a few years and ya can't tell how big untill they hit a scale. Even when their on the boat floor your estimate can be off by a few pounds. Of course one's lost are the reason for the classic big fish Story. :D

I will say, 2 years ago I FINALLY broke the 30 lb mark, and I did it twice in consecutive days.  Those 2 fish were instructive here I think:

The first hit on a 110 rigger, immediately had a mind boggling, blistering run of 700+ feet, and several others of 300+.  He bulldogged and slashed, and I knew from the first moment he was a biggin.  When I netted him, my suspicions were confirmed.

The very next day, I had a rigger hit 90 down- this fish fought like every other mid 20s king I have ever caught, with a few smaller runs but nothing that impressive.  I was excited when he was on, but not nearly as much when I slid the net under him and saw that he was actually BIGGER than the fish the day before....

You cant tell how big the fish is by the fight.  The only thing I will say that MAY help you judge size from afar is the TAIL.  Big kings have freaking HUGE tails, and that you can see from 50 feet I bet.

IM THE BIGGEST BOAT SLUT ON THIS SITE.. I FISH EVERY WEEKEND FROM MARCH UNTIL OCTOBER ON THE LAKE AND THEN EVERY WEEKNED INCLUDING HOLIDAYS ON THE TRIBS AND HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER 10 YEARS. I FISH WITH SOME OF THE BEST TEAMS ON LAKE ONTARIO (COLD STEEL, YANKEE TROLLER, SCREAMER, SEA DEVIL, STRYKER) ALL TEAMS WHO HAVE WON MAJOR EVENTS NUMBEROUS TIMES.  THESE ARE ALL NOTABLE CAPTAINS AND TEAMS.   FISHERMAN ARE NOTORIOUS FOR THINKING A FISH IS BIGGER THAN IT REALLY IS.  RICK AND GREG ARE BOTH RIGHT,.. YOU CANT TELL A FISH SIZE UNTIL IT HITS THE BOAT AND SCALE IT..IVE SEEN THE NORTH SHORE KINGS FIGHT, LAST YEAR I WAS ALMOST SPOOLED ON A 500 COPPER BY A 21 LB KING.  I THOUGH FOR SURE IT WAS A TYEE...  LIKE IT OR NOT HERE COMES THE TRUTH...  FINDER KEEPERSS YOU GUYS CAN CATCH FISH BUT DO I THINK YOU SHOULD BE CHARGING PEOPLE FOR SEMINARS??  HELL NO!!   YOU HAVENT PROVEN YOURSELVES TO ANYONE..  YOU WIN A PRO AM CUP? YOU WIN A MINI EVENT? YOU WIN ANY MAJOR EVENT ON THE LAKE?  ILL ANSWER NO!!THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HELPING PEOPLE GET INTO THE SPORT OF FISHING ON LAKE ONTARIO OR ANYWHERE, BUT WHEN YOU CHARGE FOR IT YOU LOOK LIKE AN ASS!!  JUST MY OPINION. 

Edited by cigs187

Also of interest in estimating the weight of the big ones even in the boat is that two fish may be the same or similar length but the difference in weight is noticed by the thickness across the back and to a degree the arch of the stomach area.

This morning before work I go into the kitchen to get coffee and my wife says "I'm sick of seeing these guys in all the papers and magazines. We need to get our picture in some of these".

I grab the paper from her and take a look and here is what I see:

20130702_073322.jpg

Hahahahahahahaha....I had no clue about any of those articles until people told me about them. One paper even said I was fishing with my Fiance. BONUS to me since I got engaged and didn't have to buy a ring! LMAO

Have to be careful from now on Rick all the chicks know you have the big bucks now with all the prize money etc. :)