7/2 Finders Keepers Fair Haven Update

The lake seems to have flipped "up-welling" as of today.. courtesy of the past 2 days NE wind. Tim is currently out on the lake off Fair Haven as I write and is reporting 54-58 degrees on the surface in 120 feet of water. I think this needs to be said in behalf of the Finders Keepers team: In regards to the thread " What's up with Sodus"..  Tim only posted that we had a large fish on.. it seemed to be a big one (but yeah we lost it).. the Kings showed up in our area of the lake .. this is what we did to get some in the boat.. case closed. We have defiantly ruffled some feathers on those who believe they are better than everyone else because they are winning tournaments and/or having a captain licence and/or are fishing 4+ days a week May-October. For that we are sorry.. but we are just fisherman who think we can help others get fish in their cooler. Yes, there is still the element of what the definition of a "pro fisherman" is ..but for the most part we feel the Finders Keepers Team defines the definition. To those who think we are charging for our seminars.. we have not charged a penny for a seminar in years. The seminars we conduct are free and every one of our sponsors support us 100%. To those who represent fishing and non/fishing companies.. this is not a way to act.. so we all should "act" professional, courteous and supportive on/off the water and here on the LOU site. Every one is entitled to their own opinion, thoughts and ideas. But, if you have an issue with someone on this site.. PM them. But to make a rant publicly and or jump on the "bash wagon" is not the way to go. Having the thread edited by the moderators shows that the posts were uncalled for and not appropriate for the LOU site. This type of harassing could lead to anglers shying away from posting anything on this site because of situations such as this .. all over saying we "think" we had a huge fish on. Our team is accomplishing great things on this lake, for this lake and for some reason a few people see this as taboo. One last thing is that in the best interest of all anglers we are increasing attention of our world class fisheries to companies whom normally have had no interest. This could have a huge positive impact on the tournaments, communities and the local fisheries. We are honored to say that this has already started with OceanLED, Plano, Frabill and Rhys Davis supporting and sponsoring tournaments such as the east end Pro-Am's, Atommik Invitational and the Salmon Slam. So, lets stop this non-sense and get fired up over the salmon slaughter that's about to be had ... once the lake stabilizes and sets up of course! 

Edited by FINDERS KEEPERS II

Lol hell ive been telling my story about the 65 pounder I had on the line 25 years ago...and people are still buying the story years later HAHAHA (j/k)

Thats the nice thing about Fair Haven...We really dont get too much into that competition delusion that exists else-wear....I guess we all just quietly enjoy fishing around here....and helping other achieve the same success regardless of if your a captain or a clown..

Edited by mrclean

Thanks for the report - but I have a question: after 25 years of fishing this lake, I'm still trying to make heads or tails out of the wind. As you suggest in your post, the strong NE wind has caused the inner surface waters to cool down and there is a suggestion of an upwelling (this is also confirmed on the temp. transect profiles). I'm in no way arguing that the temp. is changing, I'm just trying to understand why.

Wouldn't a strong South (i.e. offshore) breeze be more likely to cause this, rather than a strong NE wind which would theoretically stack the warmer surface water on the south shore?

Thanks for any help you may have,

Chris

Thanks for the report - but I have a question: after 25 years of fishing this lake, I'm still trying to make heads or tails out of the wind. As you suggest in your post, the strong NE wind has caused the inner surface waters to cool down and there is a suggestion of an upwelling (this is also confirmed on the temp. transect profiles). I'm in no way arguing that the temp. is changing, I'm just trying to understand why.

Wouldn't a strong South (i.e. offshore) breeze be more likely to cause this, rather than a strong NE wind which would theoretically stack the warmer surface water on the south shore?

Chris

Chris, i think it has to do with current. Current generally runs east and north, so anything counter to that (ie north and east wind) will flip it fairly easily. A strong west will eventually flip it too, but it has to be strong and long lasting. South will flip near shore but has less of an effect further off shore which is why I tend to head deep with a south wind

Seriously!? The guys from finders keepers have been nothing but professional and we have great interactions at all the events we fish together. I have sponsors on my shirts too. Jeezze guys come on.

RR

Sent from my DROID X2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Chris, i think it has to do with current. Current generally runs east and north, so anything counter to that (ie north and east wind) will flip it fairly easily. A strong west will eventually flip it too, but it has to be strong and long lasting. South will flip near shore but has less of an effect further off shore which is why I tend to head deep with a south wind

Thanks very much rdebadts - I appreciate the help and quick response. The temperature transects showed colder water on the south shore so things are definitely changing from the NE wind. Sometimes I overthink things, and I realize many times it's not as simple as 1,2,3....

To be honest, on days I'm not on the water I like to pretend I'm fishing and how I would start my day based on winds, reports, etc. from my desktop and try to follow the changing patterns in the days preceding my trips. I'll compare that later on with what the reports say to learn just a little bit more every day even when I'm not fishing. I know it sounds crazy, but I like to dream of Mr. King even when I'm not actually on the water......

Cheers mate - be safe on the water,

- Chris

Went 1 for 2 tonight (skip king and a lost screamer). Skip came on a UV Gator Mag free slider on the 71 ft rigger, the screamer was on the 200 ft wire pulling a purple/white spin doc and blue fly. Temp varied from 35-65 ft down, all over with no consistency. Was a little better further out towards 200 fow, but screen was blank. Marked some bait and fish over 160 fow, but not much. On a side note and maybe of interest for those looking to brown fish, the channel was loaded with shad when we came in - could hear the prop hitting them and they were jumping all over behind the boat.

Chris

Chris, the reason a NE wind causes an upwelling on the south shore has to do with the combination of the NE angle of the wind, coupled with the coreolis force caused by the Earth's rotation.  The combination of those two forces causes the water to shear off in a clockwise direction, kind of making the warm, nearshore surface water deflect offshore and flow in a NW direction.  Once it does that, the cold water being pushed in from the deep by the NE wind rushes in to replace the vacated warm water inshore, resulting in an upwelling in the nearshore zone.

There's more to it than that, but that is kind of the readers digest version.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund