Flies

Just a heads up that i got hammered by these little biting flies yesterday. I didnt have anything on board but its the first thing im buying today. 10 hours of wacking flies off my ankles drove me nuts

Remember bug spray guys!

These arn't good old NY black flies (no seeums) . These are stable flies (ankle biters ) and will wait till you have a good fish on and attack your ankles in force . LOL  . I posted on another thread on this forum , about these no good #%&*%*#@ 's . The only thing that repels them , IMHO , is a product called Buggspray for biting flies . I have used it for years and can vouch for it . That said , apparently the "Buggman" at Buggspray has decided to only make the biting fly spray in a "no fragrance" spray . I ordered and received two bottles of the  spray , in order to be ready for the late July and August bite (when those little critters seem to be at their worst )  . I can only hope it works as good as the original formulation (which had a very strong smell) . I will let everyone know my success (or failure ) with the new formula . I have added the website to order the Buggspray , MAKE SURE , when you order to get the BITING FLY formula , as there is more than one formula available . www.buggspray.com

Just a little P.S. Don't waste your money on normal repellants ( deep woods off and the like )  the flies like lick it off before they bite you . LOL

Edited by chinook35

Portable, cordless and is the #1 mosquito repellent on the market, and is up to 98% effective against mosquitoes and other biting insects such as black flies and no-seeums. ThermaCell allows you to enjoy your backyard or outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, hunting.....mosquito free! 

We have been in the mosquito business a long time with effective home based Mosquito Control, but now you can bring that mosquito protection anywhere with the ThermaCell mosquito repellent.

ThermaCell creates an effective 15x15 foot (225 sq/ft) barrier of odorless mosquito protection. The revolutionary unit operates on a butane cartridge, much more efficient than battery operated counterparts, lasting up to 12 hours of continuous use.  You would be changing batteries every 8 minutes or so... and no worries, the butane setup is safe to use, and is not a hazard around kids and pets..

The heat generated by the ThermaCell releases a chemical on the consumable mats called Allethrin, a synthetic copy of Pyrethrin, a natural and effective insect repellent. The vaporized repellent creates an unpleasant zone for mosquitoes, but not for humans and animals. Each mat last up to 4 hours.

The ThermaCell mosquito repellent includes 1 butane cartridge and 3 repellent mats for up to 12 hour use.  Click Here to order more refills or for more information.

"Most effective mosquito repellent available today" 
Test Data reports best yet results for a mosquito repellent/inhibitor system.
  • Proven to repel up to 98% of mosquitoes in testing by the U.S. Army
  • Also repels black flies, no-see ums, sand flies, and other flying biting insects
  • Compact (pocket sized), Cordless and Portable - goes anywhere!
  • Silent, Odorless and provides invisible protection (15ft x 15ft)
  • Used by the U.S. Army in Iraq, Kuwait, and Afghanistan
  • Effective alternative to smelly, skin applied lotions and sprays
  • Up to 50x more protection than mosquito coils or citronella candles
  • No Batteries! Butane lasts 30 times longer than alkaline batteries
  • No Open Flame
  • No DEET
  • Safe for Kids and Pets
  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Registered and Approved
thermacell_hunting_235x122.gif
  • Enjoy a bug free hunting or fishing trip
  • Silent, Compact, and Odorless
  • Real Tree Camouflage
  • New "Earth" Cover Scent Refills
  • Holster accessory can strap to tree stands, boats, or branches.
thermacell_awards_125x125.gif
  • Field and Stream's "Best of the Best" Award - 2010
  • Camping Life Editors' Choice Award - 2009
  • "Tabletop Mosquito Repellent" - The Good Housekeeping Research Institute
  • National Home Gardening Seal of Approval as the leading Mosquito Repellent Appliance
  • North American Fisherman Club Seal of Approval as the leading Mosquito Repellent Appliance

Order Online ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent - Olive (OD Green) $21.99 ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent - RealTree Camo $26.99 ThermaCELL Refill Value Pack (4 Butane / 12 Mats) $19.99 ThermaCELL Earth Scent Value Pack(4 Butane / 12 Mats) $19.99 ThermaCELL Refill (1 Butane / 3 Mats) $6.99 ThermaCELL Earth Scent Refill (1 Butane / 3 Mats) $6.99 ThermaCELL 2 Butane Refill Pack $6.99 ThermaCELL Olive Holster (OD Green) $9.99 ThermaCELL RealTree Camo Holster $12.99
  • For best results, allow 10-30 minutes, depending upon area, for the ThermaCell to take effect. Works best where there is minimal air movement..
  • For best coverage in still air, place unit close to the ground. This allows repellent to spread over maximum area.
  • In breezy weather, place the ThermaCell upwind, so the repellent is carried to your protection area.
  • In normal operation a small amount of smoke may be visible coming from the repellent mat..
  • Do not expose ThermaCell appliance or mats to rain. Appliance and mat effectiveness may be diminished if exposed to rain.
  • The underside of the mat may turn brown over time. This is normal.
  • Use one ThermaCell per 225 sq/ft (an area 15' x 15'). Use more in larger areas.
  • To clean unit, simply wipe down with a damp rag. Never submerge in water or cleaning solution.
  • Unfortunately, ThermaCell repellents will not work well at higher elevations above 4,500 ft. The lower air density causes difficulty in starting and running.
Order Online

Once again I recommend Ultra Shield in the black spray or roll on bottle. I was out Sunday after the storm and the flies were swarming around my boat but I did not get bit once! 

I believe you should take a closer look at Ultra Shield . If you read the directions , it's for use on animals only . There is a warning on the label that humans should avoid contact with the product while it is wet . May be great on critters , but  until the label lists it as safe on humans , I'll pass.

here is a link to a vet website . Please read the warnings . DON'T use this product on humans !!!

www.drugs.com/vet/absorbine-ultrashield-ex-insecticide-repellent.html

Edited by chinook35

I believe you should take a closer look at Ultra Shield . If you read the directions , it's for use on animals only . There is a warning on the label that humans should avoid contact with the product while it is wet . May be great on critters , but  until the label lists it as safe on humans , I'll pass.

here is a link to a vet website . Please read the warnings . DON'T use this product on humans !!!

www.drugs.com/vet/absorbine-ultrashield-ex-insecticide-repellent.html

I was going to post the same thing, I happened to be in Tractor Supply last night and was checking the stuff out - until the warning on the bottle said it can absorb through your skin and cause some serious health issues :puke:  I'll stick with the deet and keep swatting for now.....

Yikes..... Anyhow it must be the Deet in the Buggs Spray that makes the stuff work. Says 25%Deet. For those flys now that sit in the back of the boat upset they can't get to your ankles, I bought a portable tower zapper to see if that rids them, it didn't work. Guess ill stick with the spray.

Sorry guys, I have been using Ultra Shield for over 20 years along with all of the guys and gals that used to run beagles with me. Never had a problem with it for myself or anyone else that sprayed it on and sprayed it on heavily. The product is sold for animal use, so it is labeled for animal use which gets them away from many labeling requirements, expensive tests, and registrations. I only suggested the item, I don't sell it, but it has been working for me for years. If you want to read labels, compare the label for Ultra Shield with just about any other bug spray on the market and you won't find much of a difference. 

Well rabhunt, you can continue to use it and I wish you well . all the insect repellents that I have seen on the market for human use , are repellents ,not insecticides . The ingredients in your product are : Permethrin - listed as a neurotoxin , highly toxic to aquatic life (fish) , and very higly toxic to cats .  Pyrethrins -nerotoxin , highly toxic to aquatic life and higly toxic to cats . piperonl butxoide - key ingredient in A-200 ointment , also listed as a nerotoxin in high doses . All of the ingredients are listed as carcinogenic . The label clearly states that the product should not be used near any water . The last time I looked , my boat was surronded by water . I can't believe that a company that is in business to make money would decline to say a product was safe for humans and lose all the extra sales . The EPA tests all these products and if it was safe for humans it would say so in BIG letters .

Like I said before - I don't sell it, but I have been using for many years. I thought this program was here for others to share success stories, give out warnings, and complain about waves and that's all i was doing. I never said you had to use in big letters or small!