Depth Raider Question

Borax

I will be installing a Depth Raider for this upsoming season. Last year while fishing Lake Ontario, our average depth on the riggers was about 35 feet.

From what I've read about the Depth Raider, it states that you can run it with standard rigger cable up to 100 feet or so. I highly doubt that I will be running it anywhere near that depth.

Am I asking for trouble if I run it with my standard downrigger cable, or should I just install the coated cable from the get go?

Borax: Of all I've installed we have never tried it with uncoated cable. Curt ( at Depth Raider ) say's that it will but haven't tried it. But why limit yourself to 35 to 50 ft.. There are times when I'm shur you'll want to ck. deeper and feel confident that it will work ok. If you want the scoop from the man. Give Curt a call directly at Depth Raider. Good support and good people.

Are you only fishing the lake in early spring and the fall? You will definitly fish much deeper than 35ft in the summer. Our deepest fish last summer was 165 ft down over 600 fow.

Our coated cable actually got screwed up last summer, and after a few failed attempts at fixing it, I re-spooled the rigger with new coated cable. It was giving whacked/no readings beyond 100 ft. IMHO, I think you'll want the freedom to use it in all depths....not only in shallow.

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Ohio, so I get to make a few trips to Ontario. We are planning three this season.

We were fishing deep water last year (580+), but our rigger depths averaged less than 50 feet deep. Our best day, fishwise, we were running our baits down twelve feet deep in 590 FOW.

Rod,

What exactly went wrong with you DR? Also, where did you get the spare coated cable and how much $ ? I'm going to set one up on my boat this spring and wanted to know what to look out for.

I actually have a Moor sub troll, but it also uses the coated cable. I can't remember where we got it....maybe Screwy Louie's ? Best we could figure, it was the metal guide on the end of the downrigger. We filed it and have had no more issues. I think it was a combination of things....learning curve stuff. It got pretty bad....I remember myself and Clark (waterlogged) unspooling it on the docks at Wrights and painting the bare spots with liquid electric tape before the Oswego ProAm.....that was really funny!! Hey....it worked for a couple trips. Definitely not a long term fix though :lol::lol: