I-Bay Independence Day 2013 - AM

After having an emergency appendectomy 10 days ago and having to pull my boat to replace a melted housing and impeller in my outdrive (thanks to the cottonwood a few weeks back) it was great to get back on the water.

I fished with my good buddy Anthony (Pike Hunter) today - mainly north and slightly east of the Bay. Dead calm, foggy, and lots of those nasty black flies, although the fog blew out around 10 AM or so, so you could at least see the shore line.

We fished from 60' to 140' , and had only one knock off in 120', so we stayed in close and concentrated on the bait pods in the 60-70 fow range. Although it was a very slow day for us - the best action was in front of the Bay. We went 5 for 6, with 4 skippy kings and one lake trout.

Riggers were the only presentations that took fish - as the wires, 400' copper, 5 color lead core and various surface lures did not take anything.

MVP spoons: Carbon 14 mag (55' rigger), Bob Fuller green KOS cheated on the 45' rigger, and DW SS Seasick Waddler 45' rigger.

Also: watch out for "hidden" subsurface debris out there - as I hit a semi-submerged car bumper on my way back in on plane. Initially it seemed as if I spun my prop hub, but the boat ran fine on the way back in, so I'm not exactly sure what happened. We saved a 4' section of bumper with the Chevrolet emblem as a souvenir.....

I will be back at it Saturday, but if the lake still seems a bit unsettled, I may fish for lakers.

Good luck to all,

Chris

Nice report Chris! Glad you are back in action and hope there's no boat issues as a result of the "bumper".

Shawn

Edited by FX