Skeg gaurd/saver?

Curro

Hello, just broke a few inches off my skeg backing the boat out the driveway. Nothing to serious but was wondering if anyone knows where I can get one of those skeg gaurds to put on until I get it fixed. Its an Alpha one outdrive. Im in Fayetteville just east of Syaracuse. Leaving town Sunday with the boat so need something ASAP. West Maine will have to order one and looks like it won't be in on time. Any ideas? Thank in advance..

Edited by Curro

Is it effecting your performance? I'm no expert but I broke mine off and can't tell the difference, it's only a 50 horse on a 16 footer! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug

Any mail order outfit that has those on the shelf, should be able to UPS or Fed-Ex Satuday delivery to your doorstep...but that'll leave a mark.

Last time I was at Reiters, in Sandy Pond, I believe they had 1 or 2 of those.

Not sure how much you should worry about it.  I lost one on one of my twin I/O's a couple seasons back and it didn't make much difference.  I think the skeg is more of a prop protector than anything else.  I think it has minimal effect on steering.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

When you get the opportunity, a new one can be welded on.

I agree that they do little...But if your worried those guards to me seem about a 15 minute fabrication. Grab a sheet of 1/8 or 3/16 aluminum from the local big box home center, cut two sides and put a little curve on them, throw a quick MIG weld on three edges, drill out a couple of 1/4" holes, mark and drill lower unit, a couple or screws, bolts and lock washers and you are done. 15 mins and prolly $20 in parts.

Check bass pro i think they have them on the shelf at the store and its about an hour drive from you. I have multiple dings gouges and missing chunks in my skeg from the previous owner i thought about getting one but the boat handles fine and from talking to other ppl they tend to fall off alot