Downrigger in the LAKE

While driving 27mph somehow my middle downrigger a cannon mag 10 fell off the back of the boat into the water today. Right above the prop! And through some miracle we got it back thanks to it still being plugged in.  What are the odds that it will work after this?

Decided to dry it out before trying it again.....

You are  knot alone, One time a few years ago we had a 12 pound chrome shark slip the clutch loose and it went to the fish gods!! OOOPS another trip for more tackle . LBT1

What came loose or broke? Had a cannon pedestal brake and was not o lucky to get it back. Thankfully cannon is a great company that stands by their products and replaced my loss.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Things can always be worse...I saw a guy during the trout derby on Seneca once who hung up on bottom with his downrigger and the clutch didn't work...the downrigger ripped a whole section of his fiberglass gunwale out and then went to the bottom. Trying to make ya feel better :lol:

Glad you recovered your rigger . I take my Cannons off when I'm not fishing . mostly for security reasons ,and have always been worried that when I slide the base into the swivel mounts ,It won't catch . So i made up safety lines using para cord from the rigger to my rear cleats . They are tied to the riggers permanently and I tied a loop in the other end to fit the cleats . Now when I slide riggers into mounts , I take the line and attach to cleats . No worries .

About 7 years ago dad and I were coming home from Black River camp grounds got on 81 south and some where between South Sandy and Oswago we saw a wire wiping around in the air, dad was driving and I saw this and told him to back off, we still didn't know what is was till all of a sudden a downrigger came flying back and almost hit our truck traffic came to halt and when we finally got up to the boat the hole back of the boat was tore apart, we stopped to help the guy, what happened was the clutch released and all the cable came off the spool and someone drove over it and ripped the rigger right off the boat, it was mounted on the tracks system so it bent that all to hell and the other rigger was just hanging on by a thred and it tore the board that he had made for the transom was ripped off and it ripped a big piece right out of the transom also, he had a big mess to fix. We felt bad for the guy but that's one reason why I take off my riggers when trailering, just never know what will happen on the road, 5 minutes to remove the riggers will save you a lot of money and work. I think that guy will never trailer with his riggers mounted again.

I am taking mine off now also as I had mine tampered with in the driveway and didn't notice till it started coming off on Cayuga last Friday.  Thankfully I noticed in the nick of time and saved it!!!  The idiot who attempted the theft apparently wanted the bases too and gave up after two bolts probably because of my dogs. Cant believe two bolts held as long as they did.  Thankfully my nylock nuts and Loctite slowed the thief down.  Luckily I had nuts and bolts on board to fix things after a bunch of screaming and hollering trying to hold it on and start a nut on a buggered bolt.  You can see where everything is buggered up from a pair of pliers.  No harm done and lesson learned.   

justin

You are  knot alone, One time a few years ago we had a 12 pound chrome shark slip the clutch loose and it went to the fish gods!! OOOPS another trip for more tackle . LBT1

That's why I remove the cannonball from the downrigger before getting on plane. Lol.