newbie to salmon headed to Salmon point near Bay of Quinte tonight - any advice out there

This will be our second time on the lake and may try a new area.  Salmon point and other spots in that area off Bay of Quinte.

We will be trolling flashers with spoons - heard monkey puke is a good start for spoons colors at tbout 2-3 mph on the fish-hawk.

just a 19 foot lund so we would like to watch wind speeds of the area to know if we need to get out of there quickly.  Dose anyone know a link to this info?

Also any advice on spoons vs fllies vs meat rigs is always appreciated.  You don't have to give up your best kept secrets but any advice or links to help would be awesome

tight lines!

A GPS is almost a must, fishing out of Wellington there is a lot of structure, The last few days Salmon Point has not been the best for Salmon, but the fellows are catching a lot of browns & Steelhead.

Scotch Bonnet which is west of Wllington harbour about 9 miles has been reasonable good. Most of the fellows are starting at McFall shoal, which has been really good first thing in the morning. 

If you have anything green don't be afraid to put it down especially a NK cracked ice. Other are using spin doctors with herring or MC rockets.

If you make it out give a shout on VHF channel 71 handle is the same as boat name "Traveller" other fisherman are usually good for information & help as well.

Thanks for the info - had a great time and learned alot out there.  Fishhawk stopped working but not before we boated a nice coho.  Flasher and Fly was the only thing that got hit  in about 10 hours of fishing.  And we had just about all we could think of out there.

Anchovies - herring stips - and half the lures out of the bait shop in Wellington!!

Next day without fish hawk no action.  Got fogged in and ended up swerving around other boats coming out of nowhere just outside of the Bonnet.

Already have new bullet ordered for the hawk and the next trip is planned for the end of July.  Deciding between Darlington and Port Hope for last weekend of July.  Not easy finding a place to stay on a  busy weekend like that.  I heard there is a provincial park somewhere between these tow towns??  Any one out there know a name?? 

We were listening on 71 and we had no idea what all the places were the charters were talking about.  The hay stack was mentioned several times.

Happy trolling

I wish I had posted earlier I was probably out there as went along wall to the hay stack. We didn't  have any luck there, but later that day they turned on as some of the fellows did well. Yesterday July 9th bonnet turned on and a lot of fellows came in with good catch's. There are numerous places to stay close to Wellington, but have to book early. I have stayed at Cozy Cove a few years back, it was really nice and can leave boat in water. Sunrise Cottages at this time of the year you would need to book a year in advance. Rays Cottages is where I have my trailer has five cottages, but they are a step back in the past though a lot fishermen stay there and usually one or two are available. Probably 8 to 10 boats from there go fishing almost every day so lot of information available over the picnic table at the end of the day.

We are headed out for the 26-27-28 and are staying at Rays cottages.

Best of luck out there Traveller - Where did you get your gear from.  We will be stopping by wellington to get a few more things before headed out.

Some spin doctors and meat rigs to add some flavor.  We might also head towards TO until we find them biting.  keep hearing about Bowmanville from all the former great lakes fisherman I work with. 

Where is this haystack you speak of.  We will be headed anywhere the fish are biting.  May even bring the gang trolls (cow bells I think is a nickname also) or troll just spoons to target other species - even thought its the giant king we are really after!!

By the way my name is Todd Wilson and I look forward to swapping stories over the campfire some time!

Please let me know if you might be out there the same weekend also.

We will be here will show you on the map where hay stack and elbow are, nobody fishing today as waves are much too high. I'm the trailer furshest in and have the Campion boat, second boat in the lineup. You cannot leave boat in water we trailer evey day, but lots of help available from othe fellows so never a problem. I get my stuff at either Sail store in Oshawa or Tightlines at Pickering. There is a store over at Wellers Bay who carries all the Rac & North Kings as well. They also have spindoctors, M.C. Rockets. Will see you when you get here. If you need directions post here.

Sorry to hear the about the waves.

I'm sure we will get there fine. 

What is the name of the store by Weller's bay?  We will stop and get some more gear.  Just hope the weather is favorable when we get there.  Can't wait to get out there!!

The store is at Wellers Bay campground, if any problems ask for Hank's campground everybody over there know Hank even though he sold it last year. I've been there a hundred times it is the smallest campground approximately one mile off the main road.

Very quiet camp this morning as wicked storm went thru, just got our hydro back.

Where are you coming from, I suspect if from the west you will have no problem finding the campground it is small tackle shop & you will go thru a snack bar to get to it, but they are well stocked and new owners very friendly to work with and tackle is at a good price.

When you get to Rays Cottages ask for Bill will have a cold ale waiting for you.

Can't wait for the weekend.  I might bring my little boat and my friend has a slightly larger one.  I have a Princecraft 164 and he has a Lund fisherman 1800.  I have a 75 hp and he has a 115.  We may be up to 5 people now so a second boat may be required.  Depends on the wind I suppose.

Sorry to hear the storm slowed down the fishing, but hopefully that means we will have a great weekend coming up.

Thanks for the info on the tackle shop.  There wasn't much selection for the mc rockets in wellington.  We have done some research and are getting some goby, greens and whites.  Do you prefer the 8 or ten inch dream weavers? 

Also looking to find the right scent to soak them in. Thinking herring oil for the night before going out.

Also do they have seagar flourocarbon in around 30 pound test at the bait shop there?

We will be getting there around 5-6 pm barring any issues.

We will have a few cold ale's to go around also. 

Saturday looks good for weather, but Sunday could be a problem then again hardly anyone went out today as weather forcasting didn't sound good. Two fellows came in with their cooler full with a lot of salmon a couple in the 27lb range and it never did blow up like enviroment Canada predicted.

We have a mixed bag of fisherman here some use all lures other us spin doctors and rockets or meat. It is a mixed bag that is for sure and leads to a lot of conversation over the picnic table most evenings.

We have good friends up who love to fish so we sure hope for good weather.

Thanks for all the info and a great weekend.  Really appreciate the shout out on Sat to keep us out of a long hard drive in bad weather.  Ray's Cottages is the best spot after seeing some of the other options over past Wellington.  I will be trying to get cottage right by the water and be up there again soon before the fish move on.  Trying to get some more buddies involved but my boat is not big and that is big water.  I will need to piggy back in and out form a large boat most likely!!  Off Half of next week so looking to get up there then is the weather permits

Todd

Went out yesterday we caught two steelhead close to the mushroom and two chinooks between hook and elbow the largest ws 24.8lbs. it was quite dark which was unexpected this early. Just a heads up the cabin beside the water is quite small for a bunch of guys. The one you had or the middle one between the one you had and the one by the water are the larger cabins.

Hopefully you can get back soon as they are still here, everyone caught salmon yesterday.

Edited by traveller

I will be back out there early next week.  Watching the weather closely.  Dark ones already - that is early.  I will be calling Elanor shortly.  I need to buy a portable VHF radio for i the boat.  I'll have to look into that this weekend.  I want to be able to listen to 71 and 16 apparently!