LO Trolling Boat Recommendations

Would like an suggestion on helping me select a new boat suited for LO. Currently I have a 19' aluminum center console made around 1994 by Tracker. Boat works well but looking to upgrade to something better. Most of the issues with the tracker is on the windy days its difficult to troll into the wind and keep it straight. Also could use a little wider boat, more room in the back and more storage. A key factor is I trailer the boat and I can't go too big. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I just bought a Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special 195 and love it. It trolls very well and trailers very easy. I fish a lot of smaller waters along with LO so I needed something that would do both and this boat does exactly what I wanted it to do. I don't know how new or how much money you are looking to spend but I have also spent a good deal of time on my friends Lund both on LO and Onieda and it hadles both extremely well also. I am unsure of the model of his boat. If you are going to be trailering those would be my recommendations.

Agree with above about the Great Lakes Special SeaNymph. It's quite possibly the most boat in one package that shouldn't give trailer issues due to size/weight, withstands some surprisingly harsh conditions, is built rock solid, and can be had pretty cheaply provided you put a little work into them.

All those same features in a different style of boat would definitely be the Islander 191. Both of those boats feel much larger because of their beam.

Of course there are a million boats that handle conditions better and are a dream to fish from... But factoring in weight and ease on the wallet I'd stick with those two as my recommendations.

Agree with above about the Great Lakes Special SeaNymph. It's quite possibly the most boat in one package that shouldn't give trailer issues due to size/weight, withstands some surprisingly harsh conditions, is built rock solid, and can be had pretty cheaply provided you put a little work into them.

All those same features in a different style of boat would definitely be the Islander 191. Both of those boats feel much larger because of their beam.

Of course there are a million boats that handle conditions better and are a dream to fish from... But factoring in weight and ease on the wallet I'd stick with those two as my recommendations.

I forgot about the Islander. Another solid option for sure

Look into a lund, just bought a new 1900 tyee. I fish LO everyweekend and live on oneida. The boat fishes very well and handles everything quite comfortably. Lots of storage and amenities other brands do not offer. Fished bigger boats and other brand aluminums and wouls prefer my lund almost everyday. Tracker to a lund is a world of difference

Sent from my VS910 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are many boats that will fit your needs and price range. I fished out of a 19' Smokercraft for many years. It did every thing I needed and with a couple of home project for things like extra rod storage and side curtains for the soft top, it was and is a great fishing boat for the big lake and I also used it on the smaller ponds at home. My advice for you is to just take your time in your search. Write down the boats you look at with the possitives and negatives. Digest the information and then look for the boat brands you select are the best for what you want. Boats are a personal item. Things you like aboout a boat others might not. I now own a 24' Thompson now for the big lake and tow it 500 miles one way to fish. This is probably on the top end of towable weight. I still have my Smokercraft for the home ponds. The only reason I upgraded was due to wave conditions and my fathers comfort. We are not getting any younger. :)

Good luck with your search. Get what you like, not what some on else likes, that way you are not doing this search in a couple of years again.

tight lines

There doesn't seem to be any ONE BOAT that fits all the needs of fishermen, recreational boaters etc. It is always a matter of compromises, and finding the one CLOSEST to meeting your  "requirements" , and more than one boat owner has decided to "downsize" after trailering for awhile. The basics still come into play....depth, width, transom height, and deep V hull for most on Lake O and weight in the case of trailering. Something else I encountered with my current boat is that a disparity in axel width of trailer and tow vehicle can become a problem. My Explorer with towing package at 60 mph was like the tail wagging the dog....lifted the front end of the Explorer off the ground. despite multiple adjustments to the tongue weight on the trailer....had to get an Expedition with a wider wheelbase....problem solved.  Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

Edited by Sk8man

[quote name="Richard" post="240357" timestamp="1373198559"

...Get what you like, not what some on else likes, that way you are not doing this search in a couple of years again.

tight lines

Great info there. It all comes down to what you really like. Still- I think it's a great idea that you ask here and get some responses from owners. It can hell you rule out some boats that might have become costly mistakes.

The biggest question would still be what price range you're looking at. If your looking for a used boat from a few years back, it's easier to recommend some that just seem to have been proven winners for many on lake O.

If I had money, this would be my choice for the big O. Stanley boat, this particular model:

http://www.stanleyboats.ca/stanley/raised.html

Since I don't, I fish our of a Crestliner Kodiak 167, fits in my garage, is 800lbs with a 50hp 2sstroke motor. 30mph sog and pulls a tube with my 4yr old daughter just fine. It all depends what you want it to do.

If I had money, this would be my choice for the big O. Stanley boat, this particular model:

http://www.stanleyboats.ca/stanley/raised.html

I crawled around on of those at the Toronto Boat show. It looks like a much sturdier boat than your typical aluminum boat, though a little lacking in the creature comforts and fishing features found on many more traditional aluminum fishing boats like a Lund or Crestliner. My favorite was the toy hauler with the drop down bow, much like a WWII landing craft. Does Stanley make that model also, or was that from a competitor?

Thanks again for all the info posted above. I'm going to take time and look at as many options as I can. No hurry on this, we are catching fish with the boat we have and I'm in agreement with Richard in many of this comments. Thanks Kuba for the info on those 2 boats will look into this. Have a friend that lives in Port Credit, beautiful area in a great Country, we are fortunate to have good neighbors in Canada, and thanks for the Atlantic Salmon you've been sending our way.

I have a 221V Islander and now that I have been out on the water with her a few times I am confident in its ability to handle some water. Its a big boat though, about as big as  Iwould want to travel on land any distance. Being aluminum much easier though. If you want a cuddy style boat, the Islander is the ticket. If I were going with a non cuddy style boat, it would be a Lund

John E Powell: the amazing thing about.stanley boats is that you can weld stuff on! :) rod holders, rocket launchers, downriger pedestals

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last year, I bought my 2011 Trophy 2152, and I absolutely love it! It was a "leftover", and I got a great price from my local dealer. We have been out in some pretty snotty weather with it, on both Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario, and I've been quite impressed by how it takes on the waves. Very safe boat, and it trailers like a dream, (I use my F-150 to tow with). There's plenty of room aboard for 4-5 people to fish/ relax all day, and not step all over each other. It has an 85 gallon fuel tank, and believe it or not, I only need to put about 50 bucks worth of fuel in per weekend trip, which, due to it being easy to trailer around, I can go get the 91 octane non-ethanol fuel at Noco, for alot cheaper than having to buy marina fuel - (BIG SAVINGS over the course of the sseason). Check into Trophys..... You may be impressed.