Cleaning/Shinning up Old Spoons question?

Just wondering if anybody has a suggestion or have done things to clean up old spoons.

I have a bunch that have some rust on the back of them and was wondering a good way to clean them up and make them shinny again.

Thanks.

When true silver finish deteriorates to the degree that I can't bring it back with silver polish I seize it as an opportunity. For example with Suttons that are beyond "bringing back from the dead" I use glitter nail polish in various colors (my daughters used to raid them when they were teenagers)to apply all sorts of new coatings/designs to them. I know.....I could air brush them with more permanent results...but I want them to be less permanent. They serve as my testing spoons. I then apply a coat of acrylic topcoat nail polish (hardener)to them. They will last that way for quite some time and if they don't work out I merely remove the colors/patterns and try new ones till I find something that works. I had hundreds of old spoons just sitting around and now many are back in my arsenal (without spending $6.00 or more over again for new ones). I also use it on stickbaits that have been severely scratched up too (as in PIKE). If something is found that works incredibly well they can always be air brushed and clear coated for more permanent use.) Bob Fuller doesn't have anything to worry about from my "creations" but they work....these lure finishes were totally shot beforehand. (some folks are probably saying "They still are" :>)

post-145411-0-81997600-1373166986_thumb.jpg

WD-40 is the best silver polish known to man and will prevent tarnish for a long long time.  It won't hurt paint jobs at all, however it may loosen up tape.  Spray a little on a soft paper towel and wipe.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

WD-40 is the best silver polish known to man and will prevent tarnish for a long long time. It won't hurt paint jobs at all, however it may loosen up tape. Spray a little on a soft paper towel and wipe.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Spot-on there. It was also used as a fish attractant by many for years so you don't even have to really worry about getting it all off.

Don't know if it ever put more fish in the boat for us, but never felt like it put in any less.

isn't anyone worried about the scent that some of these things you are talking about putting on the spoons? I.e. WD-40, nail polish etc? Just curious.

I let them dry real good and when I'm about to use them I often spray shad scent on them as I do on some of my other stuff.

I second WD-40. My box of stick baits got crazy rusty after leaving them in a very bad spot...after a couple soaking sprays rust comes right off. Spoons too

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug

Yes Tom is right it can scratch especially thin actual silver finish but it cna also get some stubborn stuff off thicker finish lures that the WD 40 and other things won't do....different process scrubbing vs. chemical removal  but as mentioned have to be careful and not be too aggressive with it.

Just about ADK....that is what happens when you are retired and the fleas and weeds are bad....you wimp out and do all your fishing on the board :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll cast my vote with the first reply to this post... I know that when I was in the USN, if it was metal and was no longer shiny, Never-Dull was THE stuff. It can put a shine on pretty much any piece of metal out there. For spoons, I would see it working wonders on anything except chrome-plating.  I'd also take off heavy surface rust with a little steel wool first.