Kooter/Haywire/Oak/July 4,5,7

Headed out of the Oak for some 4th of July derby fishing with Beers and Mikee. Started out a bit slow, we usually do lol. Then finally rods started firing, are 3 color leadcores out on the Board were firing regularly with BIG Steelhead but for the life of us we could not keep them on. We boxed a few nice eaters but man we lost a BIG derby Steely on my old Blue and Silver flutter spoon, it actually straightend the treble hooks. They were jumping and just going crazy on us, it was AWESOME. Once again it was are Moonshines that did the damage off the boards. Then all of the sudden are rigger with the probe on it gets crushed! I hooked the fish and it peeled 400ft and after about 15 minutes Beers netted a very nice 23lbs King. Rigger down 68ft 30ft off the ball. 44 degree at the Fishhawk. 2.6mph at the ball. Yup that was a Moonshine to and the South troll has been are best for two weeks now. Headed her to the Black North for a refreshment and a bite! Got to meet another LOU member and we had a great meal. Got to meet a Father and his little guy in a paddle boat that were fishing in the Oak by the dock, so i offerd them one of are Steelies for dinner and the little guys face LIT up and he asked his Dad if they could tell Mom that they caught it! That was awesome and made my day. That is a future fishermen if i ever seen one! Went back out for a evening troll and once again the Kings were hungry and Beers knocked out 2 more big boys :punch:  with a Spindoctor, Fly combo. In that 180 to 220ft was are best water. Great day and good memories with my 2 good buddys out on the WATTA. Thank you to all that have fought for our country so we may be INDEPENDENT.

Friday, went right back to are spot and didnt see much or move a rod for AWHILE. So we headed offshore to no avail. Ran in from the rain and checked out the skinny water and got two steelie. Then slipped back out to are 180 to 220 and are three color leadcores started firing again. This day would be all a spoon bite and north troll was are best troll. Finished up 4 for 7. I bought this old spoon that is a Blue and Silver flutter spoon and its been getting hammerd. Was good to see and catch up with Bill. North troll and 2.6mph at the ball was are best and the 23 rigger back 8ft for that flutter spoon was getting hot,

Sunday, well I had a tough time getting a crew put together. Between family parties and busy work schedules it didnt look like i was going to be fishing which wouldnt have matterd cause my crew is amazing and has helped  so much to keep the boat going.But my buddy Dan had a opening on his boat Wet Willy and invited me to go derby fish with him and his Dad. I was definately game. Dan and his Dad are great guys and i definatly learned a few things from them. We started out 3 for 3 on 2 Browns up high and then a Laker up high on a North troll. Missed a drive by then Dan got a teener King to go on the wire, released him and began a south troll, Stinger spoon gets crushed down 35 back 30. Dan and his Dad told me to take the fish so after watching this BIG King jump like a Killer Whale and a nice 8 minute fight Dan netted the 2nd biggest King iv ever got. 27 some lbs and 39 inches long! What a great day on the water with two really good dudes. Last i checked it was 16th place. We wieghed in at Capt Cove, im almost positive its not going to stay but non the less for are whole crew its the third fish we have enterd in the LOC for the year!. Matts Brown is down to 20th so we got some fishing to do and more awesome memories to go make! Thanks alot again Dan and Dan.

post-144255-0-22541300-1373250278_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-33760700-1373250375_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-59579600-1373250422_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-87634400-1373250476_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-07780700-1373250536_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-35144700-1373250599_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-75697100-1373250698_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-77653900-1373250764_thumb.jpg

post-144255-0-49382400-1373250852_thumb.jpg

Great report Kooter!  Nice job giving the kid a fish - that's what  it's all about!  He'll remember that for a long time.  Sent you a PM.

Shawn

Well my 27 got blown off the board FAST! :lol:. Going back to the Oak Saturday with cuzn Art and his wife Jen, and hopefully Bubba gets to do some derby fishing! Good luck everyone it looks like its going to be a nice weekend!