Flea Flicker line?

Do you guys that run flea flicker line have reels spooled up with this line and only use it during the flea season or do you run it year round ? What pound line do you use, and where can one buy this line. Thanks PAP.

If you can't find the Cortland flea flicker line a good alternative is 30lb. Berkley Big game. The big game is readily available and pretty reasonable price wise. Tie in a short section of lighter leader and you are set. I use reels with lighter line when the fleas aren't bad. If I don't need to run the heavier stuff I don't.

PAP,

I take about 200' of mono off of my rigger rods and attach 30# flea flicker with a blood knot.  You really only need the flea flicker for the amount of line that will be in the water while trolling.   The down side is that the 30# FF line twists up easily but it doesn't seem to affect the strength.  When you tie the two lines together, make sure the flea flicker snugs down VERY WELL (It's oblong in shape).  It's not round line and knots can be difficult to get real tight.  You'll see what I mean when you get it.  I lost a real screamer last year when it ran out all of my FF and mono and I needed to tighten down on the line and the knot gave way.  I still dream about that fish!  :rofl:   Try Cold Water Tackle for the FF.

http://www.coldwatertackle.com/cortland-flea-flicker-monofilament-fishing-line

I use 30# ff year round. If you want to save $$$ (though not recommended) you can splice enough ff ,say 125ft, to the end of your line. The fleas only attatch to the vertical line from the reel to the dr ball when trolling.That said, I dont notice any difference in my catch rate using it year round. You can also use a barrel swivel and tie on 8 ft of floro for line shy fish. Keep in mind ,I am mainly targeting kings.hope this helps.

If you can't find the Cortland flea flicker line a good alternative is 30lb. Berkley Big game. The big game is readily available and pretty reasonable price wise. Tie in a short section of lighter leader and you are set. I use reels with lighter line when the fleas aren't bad. If I don't need to run the heavier stuff I don't.

MR 580,

I had 30# Big Game on last weekend and the fleas were still clumping to it enough to create a problem.  That's my normal mono, but it doesn't work in extreme conditions in my experience.

Pap,  I've been using 20# Flea Flicker on my 4 downrigger rods for several years now .  I run it all year and don't have any problem with fleas or line twist.  I bought mine at B E Tackle on Rt 104 in Ontario.

Hey a BIG thanks to all the responded, I think I'm going to splice in a couple hundred feet on my rigger rods as they are my main concern. My dipsey rods are 28# lead core and 16 strand wire, one thing the guys talk about is a twilly tip, I never used one and I don't notice it cutting in my tip eye, maybe I don't use it as hard as you lucky guys that live on the lake, I looked into it but why bother if nothing going wrong? I'll try ordering it as I live in the Poconos of PA. Thanks again PAP. 

Blood run tackle has some good flea line that works great for Sean and I.

Blood Run's "Sea Flee" flea line is a great line choice for battling fleas. It is a 30# mono with a silicone coating. It also is round in shape for those of you who could never stand the oval shape of cortland fleaflicker line.

http://bloodruntackle.gostorego.com/shop/premium-monofilaments/seaflee-300-yards.html

Blood Run's "Sea Flee" flea line is a great line choice for battling fleas. It is a 30# mono with a silicone coating. It also is round in shape for those of you who could never stand the oval shape of cortland fleaflicker line.

http://bloodruntackle.gostorego.com/shop/premium-monofilaments/seaflee-300-yards.html

I bought some "sea flee" this past weekend to respool. Cortland FF does work, but I hate the oval shape and color :lol:  I only wish they made the "sea flee" in larger spools.

I think the Blood Run See Flea is the way to go. I'm going to spool up a couple more reels with it after testing it out last night on Canandaigua....worked like a charm with 17 lb 8 ft. leader of Fluoro...no fleas on it whatsoever while I had some on the 30 lb wire rig....limited test but it persuaded me to use my other two rolls of it. After years of fishing with 10 and 12 lb test it takes some getting used to using 30 lb anything...feels like I'm using anchor line :lol:

I also forgot to mention....the See Flea line seems to float quite a bit on the surface as you let it out (probably the sliicone coating) so may be better for downriggers etc. than as a top line :)

Edited by Sk8man

I spooled a couple of reels with 40 lb. Stren Brute Strength.It is fairly limp and tied a pretty good knot. Ran it on Seneca last Sunday-no fleas. Also ran 30 pound Flea Flicker that had fleas. I was never a believer in Flea Flicker anyway. And to me that proves it. Now if we could just get rid of the weeds. Ha-Ha. Troutman 87