Ignition fix... Need mechanic in chaumont area or a great explanation on how to fix myself

bobbyboy26

So the problem goes like this. Boat started first thing in the morning. Father in law told me he had trouble night before turning it over but he jiggled some of the battery terminals and hit ignition and it turned over ( whether this did anything I doubt it). Boat was running in the morning then stalled went to restart, nothing, nobody home. I looked for loose connections and there were none. Boat has power to everything just ignition will not do a thing. I was told its one of two things. Either cellunoid went or its the actual ignition that is shot. I've never done either and I do not know how to check to see which it could possibly be to start to diagnose and fix the problem. Any tips or info would be great. We went to chaumont marina where father in law pays to keep the boat winterized and stored and they pretty much told him to pound sand there too busy. Understandable, but as a son that comes from a father who owns a recycling company I know to never tell somebody no especially when there already a customer of 7 years. Father In law is sitting it out and waiting for them to call him and I told him you just Wasting your season. If it were my boat it would have been out of the water and trailered to someone instantly to have fix. Not mine so I'm not trying to step on his toes but yeah, I need to get this fixed so I can take the family out fishing before the summer is over. Thanks much. It's a 20 ft sunbird Neptune by the way and I just put a brand new battery in it

Bobbyboy, need more info on boat, inboard,outboard, turning over,wont do anything, I have a starter& alternator shop, might be able to help you, but like I said need more info!!!!!

I reread your post and from what I gather, it won't turn over? it could be the aux. solenoid and all boats have one, first we need to locate it, if it's an outboard it's mounted on the engine itself and if it's an I/O it's mounted somewhere near the starter it should be black with 3 or 4 terminals on it 2 larger ones where power from the battery goes, YOU will need a test light, if you don't have one any auto parts store has them get one in the $10.00 to $15.00 one you don't need the top of the line one for this, take the alligator end an put it on a good ground, the engine block bolt or any place that isn't real rusty then put the light end on the top post you should have a bright light telling you that your ground is good and you have power there, than have someone turn the key to the start position and find the smaller wire on the solenoid should be any other color than black, black usually is a ground wire if it's a 4 terminal solenoid that should light up when key is in the start position, then while keeping the key in the start position move the light to the other bigger terminal and that should light up, to double check your self with the key in the start position you should have light (power) on the top bigger post the smaller terminal and the other larger post if you don't have power on the lower stud then the aux solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced, to check if the solenoid is grounded, put the alligator clip on the ground wire on the aux. sol. and touch the light end to the upper stud the has battery power and the light should light up, if it doesn't then you don't have a ground to the aux. sol. this could be a problem also, so might have to remedy that if that is an issue. If all that passes than it's off to the starter, you will need about 2ft of 10-12 gage wire with a alligator clip on one end and the other end you don't need anything, take the ,alligator clip end and clip it to the start side of the starter solenoid if it's a GM. style starter it will be on the right side of the starter looking at it from the back of the starter, and touch the other end to the power side of the solenoid, this can be done from the top post of the starter, first make sure that there is power at the top post on the starter, if not go to the aux. sol. for power if it doesn't do anything it might be the starter, providing all checks out with the aux. sol. 9 times out of 10 it's the aux sol. or a bad ground. Hope this helps you out. if you can't get it figured out PM. me and I will give you my cell # and I will try to walk you through it. Suck when nobody will help when you pay good money to store your boat there and they won't help you out. I know where you are and tried to deal with that guy, he's tough to deal with. PAP

If you just put a new battery in it I'd start there and check the connections over again. I actuall had a stud on my new battery spin out of the lead on the top of the battery this yr when tightening down the nut. If that is loose you wont be able to transfer enuogh juice to start the boat even though you may pass enough to power lights and what not. I'd at least recheck all your connections first. I also make sure my engine terminals are first to be placed in the battery. If you stack them on a terminal that has some corrosion on it then you reduce the amount of good contact you have there as well. Clean all contact/terminals on the battery and try it. Batteries on boats are notorious for loosening up/corroding and leading to bad connections. I always coat my terminals after installation with a dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

Spike