ok thank you i will try it tomorow there and down near maxwell ! I like to jig for them also !! i caught some big sm there last year !this will be my first time out for bass this year been busy  !!

We went out of Bear Creek last week and didn't put a single smallie in the boat. I would love to know what has happened to the smallmouth fishing in Lake Ontario.

I also wonder the same.... the only thing I can think of is the Gobi population.  Bass fishing at the Western end is a shadow of what it used to be as well.

I also wonder the same.... the only thing I can think of is the Gobi population.  Bass fishing at the Western end is a shadow of what it used to be as well.

I think you hit it right on the head. I think the gobi has caused the bass that are there to be full. Also I think the bass aren't able to spawn as successfully as they once where. Most of the tributaries are full of gobis too.

If bass chase one gobie away from the fry or eggs a hundred more swim in and devour them or the eggs. Its going to be hard to keep numbers up now but fortunately the size of the smallmouth that make it exceed far beyond the norm.  

bass is alot better now that the water warmed up. Try lookin around water intake piped along the lake.Also driop offs and look for bait around dropoffs and ledges.I have good luck searching for them first with my color garmin 178c and then fishing them.Make sure to keep bait off the bottom at least a foot.

Where we fish we have caught more bad this year than the past 3. I do remember fishing for them about 8 years ago and would have a 50+ day on them.but like mentioned there weren't any Gobi and they err all the 3lbs. range. Nothing as big as they are now.

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

Went out sat. alone in front of the bluffs east of Sodus from 9 - 20  foot of water i did one  4lb bass !! Tried jigging then i trolled ! Got the bass on a jointed rapala  in 9.5 foot  of water !!

The gobies are terrible. They are destroyingg the Bass populations in the lake and bay. Where you once could burn them up it almost seems like a desert now. I wish that there was a way that the Gobi population could be controlled and we could get our fishing back to where it was just a few years ago.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Keep your baits up .This year at least 18 in off bottom and youll avoid the dreaded gobie.Oh if you happen to catch a small one the bass hit them well.Do it all the time.Going out now.

Same thing to report.   Buddy and I used to go out to Wautoma shoal from Sandy and just drift worm harnesses from 30' -15' water.   A slow day would have us boating 20+ each in a few hours.

That was at least 5 years ago.   Since then, we've just stopped going.   Can't let your bait so much as touch the bottom, and trolling with stickbaits etc was marginally successful.   Wasn't

worth the gas to get out to the shoal any more.

Jim you're absolutely right, everyone else too, but I could pull the same amount around the same time ago and now nothing. Unless you have actually had that type of success you wouldn't believe it was possible to boat over 20 keeper Bass in a single day, not even a full day at that, something has to give. I know, let's change the meaning of B.A.S.S. from "Bass Anglers Sportsman Society" to its new meaning of "Bluegill Anglers Sportsman Society".

Remembering the days in spring when U could troll out for a few hours in the morning and catch some nice salmonids for the cooler and then come in close to shore and absolutely crush big NICE smallies (1-4lbs.) on almost every cast with black grub tail 1/8 oz jigheads with 6lb test line and ultralite rigs. Sometimes a true brute would latch on and always break off.. ;(  leaving U wondering how big it really was and why r we not using heavier outfits! What a blast. Sometimes we'd pick up bonus sheephead at the same time; they fought well too.You could look down into the clear water and see all of the smallies below near the bottom. They would hit almost anything we threw at them. And no gobies. All fish were c&r, saving the trout. I know the smallies are still there though maybe not in the huge #s. In the really shallower waters, 10ft or less, you would invariably pick up smaller young bass (4-7in).With no gobies. We've caught them since the gobies arrived in september trolling, flatlining with jointed shad raps and such just outside of the Ginna plant and that general depth level along the lakeshore. Nice ones. But not the crazy pre- goby spring time fishing.....

"A lure " has a good point. Erie has the Gobies too and they still have excellent Bass. Maybe the cormorants have something to do with it  plus there was a huge die off several years back. I remember at Sodus there were dead bass everywhere but that was from an upwelling of cold water or possibly VHS. It sucks though. I miss my smallys. I remember a few times about 7-8 yrs ago I went to Sodus by myself and got over 100 in a day but the ones now are definitely bigger.  Hope it turns around quick but with so many gobies and invasive s who knows if those days will ever return.

• 2 weeks later...

We went out up here in Chaumont and were able to hook up with some 8 inchers while perch fishing. A good sign to see that there are some fish making thru all the gobys.

Sent from my thinking chair...

On reading about round gobies at wikipedia, seems they  have some commerial value as food in the Ukraine. You can find gobies (not sure of which variety) frozen in asian food markets in packages everywhere. You know where I'm going.....Perhaps a viable commercial food source here.....? Anyone out there ever try them? I know gamefish like 'eyes and smallies and others do love them. Like yellow perch and shrimp maybe..... I say maybe..... they could be tasty morsels for fish fries. If that were the case, and that is IF.... I'd rather see them overharvested than yellow perch for food. Lots of maybes and if's here........I'm sure testing for contaminant uptake and other such whatnot would have to be done to see if they were good for marketing as food for us....and they would have to taste good.....but.....I'm just sayin' :thinking: .......Also along the same line, I understand (never tried it) that the dreaded snakeheads are really good eating.....

Edited by panfisher

I fish Lake Erie for bass all the time. The bass fishing is unbelievable. On a good full day, you can catch 100 (not exaggerating). If I drop my camera down, there is a goby on every rock. You definitely can't even think of using live bait. We fish around Erie, pa and Dunkirk, NY for smallies. The cormorants are terrible for the smallmouths.

Predator populations are out of control in all shapes and forms. Here in PA, the PGC keeps trying to get the wild pheasant population going like it was in the 70's with no success. It's hard when there is a hawk in the air every 150 yds and foxes, coyotes and bobcats behind every tree.

pheasant hunting is good if you pay.Whispering Pines has a good deal.i joined there for this fall.We have corrmants here in pultneyville.Maybe a dozen or so and there small.Now my heron that comes to our pond is a huge bird.I bet it's four feet tall and could swallow a 2 lb bass with ease.Im glad you had good luck at erie with smallmouth.It seems there are many small bass now surviving the goby.Time will tell.

Good fishing .Also remeber it's not catching.LOL