I think Cormorants have alot to do with it on Lake O. The Lake Erie- Lake O goby connection is not adding up, not affecting at Erie but affecting Lake O. Not sure what is to blame then. Hmmmm???

I remember a few years back when the cormorants first got out of control the bass population in eastern Lake O crashed. A few guys got together and shot a bunch an got caught. Then the DEC started started oiling the eggs to help keep the #'s down. The cormorants eat the bass when they are small before they can spawn and that's why it hurts the population. The story was in either FIeld and Stream or Outdoor Life.

I guess it doesn't make sense why they're not as big of a problem in Erie. There are tons of cormorants at Dunkirk. Then again, with the walleye, perch, etc., not much on the two lakes is comparable. When they used to stock salmon in Erie, a big king was like a teenager on Ontario.

Could be the cormorants....I was up to Clayton, NY this past weekend and I couldn't believe the number of cormorants that invaded the waterways on a daily basis...One uninhabitable island was filled with them when we went by it....I did luck out on a nice largemouth off the docks Saturday night....Pines

I heard that the DEC was at least doing something like oiling the eggs but Canada was not allowing anything on their end towards Cormorants. Not positive on that but thats what I heard and read 2 yrs ago. If I remember most of the nesting sites were in Canadian water too.

Was out there this past weekend (out of Sodus) for a few hours on Sat morning. We caught two nice sized smallies and lost one. The bigger of the two was just under 4lbs and the smaller one was about 3lbs. Had the underwater camera dragging off the back of the boat and only saw one other smallie the entire drift. The days of lots of fish are gone, but when you do find a fish or two they are decent size.

post-152636-0-37734000-1375809722_thumb.jpg