Advice on favorite downrigger releases

I am looking at getting new releases for our downriggers and would like anyone's opinions on the scotty powergrip releases, or whatever brands of releases work best for you.

http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/p ... Grips.html

I have been using the cannon regular releases and I have been less than satisfied as they get worn and become inconsistent in holding pressure.

We run Scotty powergrips and have been for years. They work great. We use the small size for Browns and the large for Salmon. What I really like most about them is because they are on a leader off the ball I can see my rod tip bouncing even with a very small fish on that won't release because of size. Keeps me from dragging the little guys around the lake.

Glen

Guest ReelDiel

i like the scottys also. i like the ones that clamp to the cable. you can run you lure above the ball a little (prime on ridgeback rattlers) and easy to do stackers. also i have ran them over my sub-troll cable w/o chewing it up you just have to be careful.

2nd those blacks, i use the roamers stackers for salmon stuff and deeper fishing i rige em a little diff. from the instructions quicker and easer to release . easyly adjustable also but if you drop stuff[clumsy] dont use these youll be buying line holders every trip.pinch type work great i like the cable grips that that look like a big diaper pin for lack of better way to describe

Used to use Offshore which are real easy to use but , I would have problems with false releases when using FF line running deep. Started using the Scottys 2 years ago and love them. :D

Red Offshores here. No problems at all with FFer. But I do put a longer lead on them 12 ta 14 inches from the ball to the release. Helps a lot to detect a small fish or hanger you can usually see the tip working up and down and pretty much know whats going on with out dragging it around for awhile. Same can be done with the Scottys or similar types of releases. Just my 2 cents.

I use DuBro releases which are almost identical to Black's but less expensive. I have to thank drlfc for putting me onto them. Thanks Doc, they work great! I use them with or without rubber bands, but mostly with the bands. What's also nice about them is they attach to the rigger cable "above" the ball which keeps it tracking as straight as possible.

Blacks for me. Fast and consistant setting for the release. I have tried scotty's as well but I think the current in Oswego pulls on my rigs and at times has caused my torpedo weights to plane and cross eachother. It does not do this with the blacks. I think becuase the blacks are allowed to swivel freely on the rigger wire and are not directly attached to the weights pulling on the tail and causing directional planning when down deep in the current.

Maybe I wouldn't see this if I bought a bigger boat with a wider beam. :roll: Gotta stick with the blacks for now!

I've used Roemer's for years and used to swear by them.. but.. the "new and improved" model just doesn't hold up if you run braided line. The originals had a stainless trigger where the new ones have a little plastic ball that gets grooved and won't release after extended use. Works fine for mono, but not for braid. Guess I'll be switching to something else soon myself.. running low on the old ones! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Three of the four Blacks releases on my boat are 10+ years old. They are slid onto the DR cable just above the swivel for attaching the DR weight. I put a crimped sleeve on the main DR cable between the legs of the release that the cable slides through to keep the release next to the DR weight. By the way, I had to replace one of the four because lost it to the bottom of Cayuga Lake. These releases are adjusted to troll cut bait for salmon on LO, as well as dialed down to work perfectly on Oneida Lake walleye & perch, thats right I get a few every now and then when trolling for walleye. As far as I am concerned, Blacks are all I need.

Scotties here all the way, used to use the offshores, but like the scotties better. I have used blacks on other peoples boats and really didn't care for them. No problems with em, I just like the pinch pad types with the leads on them better.

Tim

I agree with Iceman & YT. Black's for me. I put a post up back there someplace on how to rig them on a coated Sub-T cable.

I have some pinch pad type releases that I use for a stacker on the coated cable but they're a pain to remove if you have a fish on the lower one and are trying to clear the rigger, especially if you're out solo.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Just so I'm on the right page with everyone else do you guys twist a loop in your line to attatch to the release or just attatch the line. When I worked as a mate in the early 90's we always ran roemers, and I thought they were really good releases but now it is 2007. I didn't make it out many times last year but the 1 time I put a rigger line in the water (I had old manual rivieras with broken counters.) We caught a nice salmon. Just wondered if you guys twist your line and make a loop , or put the line right into the release. Thank's Mick

Guest ReelDiel

with the scottys i just put the line in straight to the back of the clip and it works great even with an 11" flasher

tom, try one of those scottys with the big clip for a stacker you can put them on and off with one hand great if your solo. just put your line in the clip and bam right onto the cable.

I use "rubber bands" with all my releases, be they Black's, Off Shore, Roehmers, and Scottys. LIKE AN INSURANCE POLICY they work together and I have less wrap arounds and failures to release. Little shakers signal the rod tips also.

Thaks for all the replies, I am going to pick up a few of the Scotty powergrips AND the Black's releases and see which works better for me. I have a GC for gander mountain that is burning a hole in my pocket.

As always, I appreciate all the support that members give others on this board!!!

I ran roemers for over 10 years they worked great but they changed to all plastic so they are not as good as they once were for fishing salmon in Ontario.So now I use blacks and half hitch a rubber band then put in to the clip and they work great I can really crank down on the rods when down over a 100 feet with flasher fly set ups with out them popping loose.I still use the roemers for light line rigger fishing in my neck of the woods.But I will have to try the scottys and see what there like ;) .

Black's at the ball with Scotty Powergrip stackers although I've found I just don't use stackers much anymore. The Black's releases are consistent - once you get the tension down where you want it you really never have to worry about it.

Started out with Walker pinch pads (hated them) and used Cannon pinch pads on my brothers' boat until I convinced him to switch to the Black's.

Like the Scotty's as stackers though!! DAN