Best fillet knife

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the actual salmon slicer from victorynox think its a 14 inch strait edge blade? I seen it on their site never see it in stores would like to hear from someone that has tried it before I order one

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm impressed. You can clean my fish anytime! :lol:

How's your pooch copilot?

Dog is doing very well, but I think she is getting too big for the cab!..6 months old and pushing 50 lbs...I think it is a great dane and pitt mix by the pictures I found on the internet. On some hunting forums down there in the south and Georgia, the good ole boys like to cross the two for hog hunting. Apparently this dog was one of a litter and being female probably was too expensive to fix. I found out that it can cost 160 bucks just to take an animal to the pound and leave it, and that is one of the reasons I think there are so many dogs running loose down there. She is getting more managable as time goes on, but for a while we were ready to hand her to some friends if they wanted her!...LOL!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I understand - my wife is trying to talk me into "rescuing" a neighbor's Pit / Newfoundland puppy.

I can pick up that specific knife for $12 - may have to add it to the collection...

I've got a plain old Rapala 7 1/2" filet knife and do quite well with it. Some guys like bigger knives.

The original question asked about what "professionals" use.

From what I've seen at the cleaning stations at Wrights Landing and Larry's, those "professional" salmon cutters use a knife that looks a lot like the Victorinox Salmon Slicer

victorinox-12-slicing-salmon-knife-w-gra

I was in Wegmans the other day, and they had a Victorinox slicing knife (not specific to salmon, but similar to the one above) and it sells for $27.99.

I know I like watching those guys fillet a salmon. They make it look even easier than it is to begin with.

Here is a great source that some of you may scoff at. The prices will seem so cheap you will think they are not very good. They are made for the professional butcher, the guy who does it for a living and beats them up. They hold an edge great as they have very good steel in them, they have good flexibility as well. Check them out at the http://www.sausagemaker.com/. I have no affiliation with them but as a customer. They work as good as my $220. Global fily knife! Look at the Mundial 12" Cimeter Knife, the mundial knifes are the ones I'm referring to.

• Like 1

TSM is great but the Mundial knives are only so-so; I think the price is appropriate for the quality though - not a bad thing. 

I prefer the Victorinox line but you're looking at $38 for the 12 inch Cimeter compared to $22.     

• 7 months later...

Just got my Victorinox 12" Cimeter in the mail today - holy crap the thing is like a small sword.  Can anyone recommend a good case or sheath for it?

Yeah, Blade Tamer makes great sheaths for the Victorinox Cimeter knives.  I am attaching a pic of my 14" Forschner on top of the its Blade Tamer sheath.  The Captain's Cove sells them pretty cheap, like for $10, I think.

post-150571-0-80854700-1397427454_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Blade Tamer makes great sheaths for the Victorinox Cimeter knives.  I am attaching a pic of my 14" Forschner on top of the its Blade Tamer sheath.  The Captain's Cove sells them pretty cheap, like for $10, I think.

Yep - that's the only real sheath for them.  A few websites sell the knife and blade tamer together, I carry all my cutting gear (gloves, assorted knives, ziplocks & sharpening steel) in a chef knife kit.

• 10 months later...

FilletKnifeGuide.com you will find the best fillet knife, the best electric knife with reviews

byrle:

Thanks for the link, looked over the knives shown there & is a very good list.  I am looking for a cordless electric knife for perch & walleyes, will probably now go for the Rapala noted there.  One thing I noticed on the regular fillet knives  was that it says the Victorinox 47513 is carbon steel, which is incorrect, this knife is high carbon stainless steel, carbon steel would rust, & the 8 Victorinox knives including this one do not rust or stain.

Thanks;

John

byrle:

Thanks for the link, looked over the knives shown there & is a very good list.  I am looking for a cordless electric knife for perch & walleyes, will probably now go for the Rapala noted there.  One thing I noticed on the regular fillet knives  was that it says the Victorinox 47513 is carbon steel, which is incorrect, this knife is high carbon stainless steel, carbon steel would rust, & the 8 Victorinox knives including this one do not rust or stain.

Thanks;

John

Thank John. I will edit soon

• 5 months later...

I've used a 12" Forchner Cemeter for years to fillet fish, and a 9" Rapala for trimming. Loved the combo. This Summer my teammates RUINED the blade on my Forschner. I had to have it sent out with a buddy to get an edge put back on it. In the meantime I bought 2 F-Dick blades. One similar to my Forschner, and the other is their fillet knife. The Fillet knife has become my go to knife for the whole job unless it's over 20lbs. Then I like the weight of the bigger Cemeter.

http://www.dick.de/en/tools-for-chefs-and-butchers/products/trimming-and-filetting-knives

I tried a Bubba Blade out for a few days, and although the edge was crazy nice, the handle was too big for me. Although, I loved the material of the handle.