I-Bay/Rochester 7/13/13 - AM report UPDATED with ADDED VIDEO

I fished with my great buddy Anthony today - we hit the water early at 5:15 AM and decided to fish west of the river with the armada. Not wanting to step on any charters toes (although one was actually already complaining at 5:15 AM b/c we were within 3000 feet from them which is apparently too close), so we tried to stay on the edges of the pack.

The fishing was outstanding today with essentially non-stop activity from the moment the rods hits the water until we pulled out around 11 AM. We had a small lull in the action around 6:30-7 AM for some reason, but otherwise it was great all morning. Waves were 2-3', but it was tolerable and actually made for a nice "salmon chop".

We fished riggers adjusted from 75'-110' both with cheaters, two wire divers (175', 225' and then we pulled one in place of a high diver at only 125'), 600' copper down the chute and a ten color core.

Everything took multiple fish today other than the lead core.

We fished early in the 120-140 fow area and then we seemed to do best in the 180-200' area. We had a mixed bag of fish including lake trout, steelhead, Chinook salmon and a few coho. We lost a screamer on the dipsy but we finished the day around 13 for 17 with quite a few additional knock offs in between.

We saw quite a few folks hooking up today and we saw an enormous king floating on the surface around 10 AM. All of our fish were released but three, but I am guilty of releasing a lake trout too soon and it looked like it was floating and not swimming. For this, I apologize but it was too choppy to follow and go back and net.

The following all took fish today:

riggers: NK 42 second spoon (rigger 75-110')

Fuller KOS spoon (rigger (75'-85')

Stinger NBK (cheated on both riggers)

DW SS Lemon ice (cheated 110' rigger)

DW regular Buffalo Bill (cheated 75' rigger)

Wire - 175' Kelly Green SD/Krinkle green fly

Wire - 125' DW SS wonderbread spoon (very hot for steelhead action)

600' copper - Hammertime SD/42 second fly for lake trout

I will post some video later on once I edit it - as always we are so blessed to have such a great fishery. It was nice to focus on some silver action today and not have to fish cowbells for lake trout.

As promised, here's a video of some of the fish we caught:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZkmMo7XkA&feature=youtu.be

Good luck to all on the water - please be safe,

Chris        

Edited by momay4000

WTG Chris! :yes:

I was also out early.  Had 7 freeking knock-offs off Russell & couldn't get to any of them in time.  Felt like a golfer that could only shank everything in the woods.  At least I met J.D. at the launch. - Great guy.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Indeed, being one of the two actors, I'm afraid to say anything in advance for the grand premiere with the video of today's action from your GO PRO.

Please be sure to add two EPIC FAILURES with the darn reels KNOBS which came off from the , DAIWA ACCU-DEPTHS While I was reeling in the slack line after the rod popped out. I was so thankful that it was just a skippy on line when this happened otherwise we would have to donate the reel to the Lake O.

In a nutshell, CHRIS AKA CAPT'N has made it a fun filled day of fishing by heading out west and grinding the area in tight. I have to admit the west side of fishing area in Rochester is more crowded than the east side, mind you.

Tight lines and safe fishing!

Thanks gentlemen for all the kind words - I'll be sure to get the video up tomorrow.

Shawn - thanks for the feedback my friend.

Tom - we also had lots of lite knockoffs. My guess is they were some small skippys, in fact we caught the smallest fish I've ever caught on a wire - a small king and it had to be no more than 7" long

Jason - so sorry to hear about the donation to the lake......what a bummer

Anthony - I didn't want to make you feel bad, but busting off two reel handles was hilarious....however, the go-Pro was turned off at that point so I don't have any footage. However, I do have footage of my pseudo-split on the motor cover when I slipped on the slime trying to net your fish.......

Great times as always - good luck to all the fellow anglers tomorrow on the final day of the Sodus Pro-Am,

Chris

I fished with my great buddy Anthony today - we hit the water early at 5:15 AM and decided to fish west of the river with the armada. Not wanting to step on any charters toes (although one was actually already complaining at 5:15 AM b/c we were within 3000 feet from them which is apparently too close), so we tried to stay on the edges of the pack.

The fishing was outstanding today with essentially non-stop activity from the moment the rods hits the water until we pulled out around 11 AM. We had a small lull in the action around 6:30-7 AM for some reason, but otherwise it was great all morning. Waves were 2-3', but it was tolerable and actually made for a nice "salmon chop".

We fished riggers adjusted from 75'-110' both with cheaters, two wire divers (175', 225' and then we pulled one in place of a high diver at only 125'), 600' copper down the chute and a ten color core.

Everything took multiple fish today other than the lead core.

We fished early in the 120-140 fow area and then we seemed to do best in the 180-200' area. We had a mixed bag of fish including lake trout, steelhead, Chinook salmon and a few coho. We lost a screamer on the dipsy but we finished the day around 13 for 17 with quite a few additional knock offs in between.

We saw quite a few folks hooking up today and we saw an enormous king floating on the surface around 10 AM. All of our fish were released but three, but I am guilty of releasing a lake trout too soon and it looked like it was floating and not swimming. For this, I apologize but it was too choppy to follow and go back and net.

The following all took fish today:

riggers: NK 42 second spoon (rigger 75-110')

Fuller KOS spoon (rigger (75'-85')

Stinger NBK (cheated on both riggers)

DW SS Lemon ice (cheated 110' rigger)

DW regular Buffalo Bill (cheated 75' rigger)

Wire - 175' Kelly Green SD/Krinkle green fly

Wire - 125' DW SS wonderbread spoon (very hot for steelhead action)

600' copper - Hammertime SD/42 second fly for lake trout

I will post some video later on once I edit it - as always we are so blessed to have such a great fishery. It was nice to focus on some silver action today and not have to fish cowbells for lake trout.

As promised, here's a video of some of the fish we caught:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZkmMo7XkA&feature=youtu.be

Good luck to all on the water - please be safe,

Chris        

Man you guys don't screw around fighting the fish..reel reel reel! wow. What size boat you in?

Good fishing song too

Thanks bud - it's called "Fishing" but I can't remember who it's by. I'll get back to you

ADK - I have a 22' Trophy with an 8.5' beam. The Gopro makes everything look smaller than it really is.

Edited by momay4000

That was awesome video. Now, I have something to convince my wife about where I have been during the whole morning!

I think everybody should review themselves on the video after fishing because this gives you the best feedback on your performance. Just like how the ESPN expert analysts would review the NFL play by play and describe the obvious errors and successes on the football field.

The video has shown me 2 things or so:

My arms - My arms felt like rubber after reeling in the cooper set up on several occasions. I know it I just need to hit the gym to pump up more muscles and be in better shape. My arms would have broke off if we were to fight the major kings on that day.

My eyes - I find it hilarious when I failed to see the throbbing rods for so many times on your boat.

My brain - add more caffeine into my system. I can hope for the best when I have more alert brain to help us catch more fish.

Tight lines to all!

I was waiting for a "kissing" scene as that song was playing...lol

LOL!! Yes the song is a bit soft, but I needed a longer tune to accomodate the video length.....