Man some big fish this year...they still have a couple months to grow...here are some pics of the fish today...pretty exciting on my 16 foot boat! He was 45" long, 26" girth and just over 37#...my buddy is putting it on his wall...

IMG_20130714_055435_724.jpg

IMG_20130714_085447_111.jpg

IMG_20130714_085042_902.jpg

421177_4867563335665_1153904053_n.jpg

IMG_20130714_110640_743.jpg

IMG_20130714_113531_086.jpg

Edited by HuntNY

You are the 3rd person I've seen post with a prize winning fish that wasn't in the derby.   

A friend convinced me to enter....$30 for the summer derby?   A lot less than most spend on coffee a week, and coffee doesn't pay money back.

Nice fish!!!

I'll be sure to get in for future trips...once in a lifetime fish...been fishing the lake for 28 years and the biggest to date was two fish @ 34 pounds...those were over 20 years ago...

Sent from my MB886 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

With a few months to go with them chowing down it looks as though this may just be the year of the 40 pound kings on Lake O. Beautiful fish!

Well I own a 16.25 LUND Rebel XL so the weather is the biggest factor for me getting out, I run two rods off riggers and two dipseys, we were consistently marking Bait and fish around 30-70 FOW mark so we moved the presentations up a bit, I do not have down temperature so I have to trust the screen...He hit the rigger running a white green dot flasher with a white and green stripe black dot stinger spoon trailing, (my Lake O lingo has fallen off over the years, but I'm sure you regulars know what I am talking about) we mixed up spoons and flies 50/50 behind the flashers...maybe 15/20 feet behind the ball, 65 feet down over 240 FOW...Rod went off and my buddy Pat jumped on it...we cleared the port dipsey first and just backed off a little on the throttle...he stayed off the port back at first...he then ran across the back and the starboard rod released, I was pretty sure he had knocked it off but I quickly cleared that rod and it wasn't tangled so that was break number 1,  I pulled the starboard dipsey and switched sides with pat so that that line didn't hit the steel dipsey line...then we went to neutral...with all the lines cleared and the riggers cranked up (yes hand cranks) we fought him ver the starboard side...he made three good runs and then came to the surface, he was spent at that point but still about 15 yards out, and the water flea crap was all balled up in the eyelets, so Pat moved to he front of the boat to buy time to clear the crap on the line Jim was quickly picking that stuff off and the line went all slack, he was spent on the surface and the movement of his tail was pushing him right towards the net, I grabbed the line and lightly pulled him into the net and luckly the hooks were set good and with the slack time he didn't get off...it was a pretty good fire drill and we knew the fish was big, but being the first one of the year and use to catching walleye perch and crappies the first salmon of the year always look big, we all guessed a weight and I said 34 knowing that was the biggest king I had ever been a part of back when I worked charter boats as a first mate...once we weighed it at the launch with a guys cheap rapala scale and it was bouncing between 36.6 and 37.4 we called it 36.13 the number that showed the most...after talking to a few friends Pat we started talking about Pat putting it on the wall, we went over to a friend who has been doing taxidermy local for many years and weighed it there and that was the picture of the scale, it was a sliver over 37, now I wonder with 1/2 inch of slime and blood sloshing in my livewell what he would have weighed had we just took him straight in to a certified scale, either way it doesn't matter, in my eyes a King of a lifetime, an awesome day on the water with good friends, one heck of a story to tell and with a couple months to still grow at 45 inches he may have been a 40 pounder heading in a river...days like that are what keep us all coming back...now I need to change the crap line on my lake rods because I cannot afford another three fish breakoff day...LOL 

Very nice fish.. and your not alone. I didn't get in and just let a 23lb laker go.

Steve

Very nice fish.. and your not alone. I didn't get in and just let a 23lb laker go.

Steve

Great fish!!!  Congrats!!!