Limp mode...

DannyL

just because the splines are still in the drive coupler does not mean that it is not spun.  you can spin the rubber bushing out of the coupler and it will "limp home".  soon as you put the power to it...zing.  did you notice a burning smell at the time the boat would not plane?

just because the splines are still in the drive coupler does not mean that it is not spun.  you can spin the rubber bushing out of the coupler and it will "limp home".  soon as you put the power to it...zing.  did you notice a burning smell at the time the boat would not plane?

X 2  I believe the metal spline sleeve is bonded to the rubber bushing. When your coupler fails, the bond between metal and rubber breaks and the sleeve will spin within the rubber. Same principal as some prop hubs. The rubber bond fails before it tears everything else up. Might feel tight now, but put some serious torque on it, and it will slip.

No burning smell no rubber chunks in the bottom of the bell housing, clean like in the above picture.

I think I'm going to order a new **** and put it all in and have a happy life!

• 1 month later...

Did you get it figured out?

Haven't been here in a while so here's how things worked out. Bench tested the coupler, yes you heard me right, I had over 300 foot/lbs torque on it and it was fine.

So I put the motor back in the hole (35 minutes alone) put the lag back in, smooth as silk and changed the Flo Torque hub and it VOILA no more problem. Bummer pulling everything out for nothing but I learned more about the boats "workin's". readjusted the shifter cables as the manual states but I'm not sure the cut off switch really works.

Took a day run out on a local lake and goes pretty well for an old tin can. I did note that it really hits the waves doesn't really cut them. I played with the trim and think I have a good feel for it now, I'm wondering if those auto trim tabs would help the boat plane faster...... 

SOOOOOOOOoooooo all is good but not a lot of time to play captin' and the season is coming to a close faster than I want to admit, but there's always next year to really take advantage of it!

Thx for the help guys!

Danny

A very easy way to determine whether you have a spun prop is by taking a marker and making a straight line along the prop and the gear case behind it. Now just run the engine in the water. If the line is no longer continuous you have a spun prop.