Navigating the international boundary

So the last time I fished near the 'lanes' n.w. of galloo, I got a welcome text from Canada on my cell.  From the chart I had I was no where near the border but it scared me because I couldn't see the border on GPS, and have heard about what can happen if you are caught fishing in Canadian water.  How does one know where the border is?  Maybe it was on my GPS but I was zoomed in too much.
Thanks

Jeff

If you have a card the boundary will be on there. The reason for the text was to let you know your cell service was bouncing off Canadian towers, which means higher rates. I kept getting them in the 1000 islands last week and I have gotten them while fishing out of Wilson and even Olcott.

Yup we get them all the time while we are up in the 1000 islands. Just call your provider and tell them you were in U.S. waters and they will remove the charges. You were probably bouncing off both sets of towers. When I was out that way I would get that message 4 our 5 times.

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

I get a Canadian tower frequently - while in Theresa, NY. Drives me nuts...

I carry a Garmin Dakota 20 that I downloaded a freeware NYS Political  Boundaries overlay to, shows county lines now as well as the international border. 

You don't want to get caught on by the Canadian border patrol, unless you called in to the

Canadian customs to register your boat and people in the boat. You must also have a navigational map of the waters your boating on, no mater it you have a couple GPS's on the boat. A friend of mine did not do any of the above, his boat was confiscated and had to pay a 2500.00 fine in order to get his boat and equipment back.