Perch Fishing around Clayton and Wellsley Island

Topcat

I haven't camped there for awhile but used to go there every summer for years. Suggestion: if the boat rental place at/near the store is still there they used to have a very nice free map there of the locality (DJ's Bait Shop put it out)  and it shows depths etc. all around that area. They sell bait there too and may be ableto point you in the right direction. We used to do real well on the perch just out from the boat launch ramp at the camp grounds (pike and smallies as well) in the central area of the campground and even from the dock there on bass. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I fish for perch on the Canadian side out of Gananoque. Haven't been up since May, but all my local sources report a very poor year for perch. The small ones are around, but eaters are very scarce. I'm going up for 2 weeks after Labor Day, hope I can find some!

• 1 year later...

We are headed to Wellsley Island this coming August. Curious to know if pleasure craft have to stay on the USA side or can we venture onto the Canadian Side? I havent been up there since I was a kid.

I don't think you want to test out the line.... now that significant security concerns are heightened both sides monitor very closely and will intercept and detain you if you stray too far.

We have a cottage in cape Vincent and fish Canadian waters. Call this number when your ready to leave the dock. 1 (800) 226-7277. Request permission to fish in ontario. They will ask you the same type of questions you normally get asked when crossing the border. I.E. Number in party, names, birthdates etc. They will also ask for boat info. You will then receive a conformation #. It takes a few minutes but it's worth it to fish canada.

We have a cottage in cape Vincent and fish Canadian waters. Call this number when your ready to leave the dock. 1 (800) 226-7277. Request permission to fish in ontario. They will ask you the same type of questions you normally get asked when crossing the border. I.E. Number in party, names, birthdates etc. They will also ask for boat info. You will then receive a conformation #. It takes a few minutes but it's worth it to fish canada.

Its really that easy!

There used to be a place right on Wellesley Island where you could get the Canadian license....just can't remember the name of the place It was a ways from the park though. Maybe ask at the park gate or at the store at the boat rental launch

Edited by Sk8man

So I would assume that there are boundary markers indicating us/Canadian waters? I would also think that my chart plotter will show it as well

Man.. I'm glad I was able to sample the fruits of real fishing and general cross border freedom before 9/11! Never worried about licenses and boat issues  and unmarked borders of states and countries ripping in the name of security and domain. Fishing and hanging out were fun and no problamo. Folks you would rent boats from never even mentioned issues that today, if not understood beforehand, can lead you into a lot of hot water.      :worried:  Really good info on some of what u need to know here.... :yes: ....and there is probably more. Oiy!    :shake:

Edited by panfisher

Can get a license on Hill Island on the bridge or I believe you can get hold of TI Bait Store and they can get them for you. Good suggestions on fishing in Canadian waters. Personally I general fish NY side even though I have a Canadian license.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Can get Canadian license at TI bait store right off 81..... U can even call ahead, give info, and they will have it ready for you. Great service in this respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United