Oswego Pro-Am -Thanks to All

Big Thank You to the following individuals for keeping the Tournament around-Hopefully growing again also:

Burke and Rob for picking up the ball and making it happen.

Tom Allen and Steph. for all the work on the internet and with sponsers.

Dave and Veronica Turner for their hard work.

Penny Lyman for showing up and doing a great job after some long days. 

Shane Broadwell who's been around for along time with his support.

Steve and Steve Jr. for running the fish check-in along with Penny.

Gentlemen running the Scale.

All those who worked on the rules and policies to restore the good times. 

And everyone else behind the scene's who donated their time and Prizes.

Team Trouble Shooters.

Just wanted to mention this all started with those who wanted for the Oswego event to "continue" and not go away

Tom Burke and I conversed on many occasions prior to November 2012, many semi heated texts trying to prove each others case as to what would be best to satisfy those who still wanted to "play"

Between Tom B, Rob Ripka and myself it became a must do act early into 2013, Rob stepped up with $2000 cash and Tom Burke really took over as Rob and I were there for support and to help where needed, Rob re-wrote the rules and between the 3 of us we convinced the city we would give it our all and they helped to a great degree. Dave and Veronica and also Shane Broadwell were all key players. Bob Cinelli offered to help and Penny Hartman ran the show for the weekend, we acquired many volunteers and bam it was pulled together.

Cant wait till next year at this point.

Thanks to all those who participated

The Oswego Pro/Am will see you next year in 2014 !!!!

Tom

Just a few more comments about Saturday & Sundays weigh in and awards ceremony:

It felt good to see the interactions between Pro and Am teams.The interaction was I believe created by the no comm. Everyone  giving accounts of what occured during the day of fishing.Haven't  seen this in a while and I personally am glad it's returned to the event.

So I too, am very much looking forward to 2014.

How bout some more teams return in 2014 and also I invite others to join us for what was a very social good time weekend with old and new friends.Lets face it -Thats what it really is about!!!!  

See you all at Sodus and Oswego 2014.

Sometimes it is the simple things that make it even better. Whoever had the idea to eliminate the need to be past the pierhead at 2pm was spot on. What counts is the fact that you are in line on time. Kudos for that. Now, no-one has to sit in that hot sun for 3 hours counting boats as they pass the pierhead. 

Great job running the event! It was a job well done.

I agree that the event was well thought out as far as the changes in the format was concerned. It seemed to address the concerns of most of the critics who had nothing good to say about past events.  (no comm. etc.) The organizers had an advantage due to the fact that social media plays a big part in getting the message to followers of our sport, as well as receiving criticism. But what is puzzling is that with all the effort, and all the passion that goes into trying to satisfy the needs and concerns of all, the event only drew 10 Am teams??  are you kidding?  I dont have numbers to back it up, but I can recall passionate discussion on this board and elsewhere from ALOT people (mostly Am's) who would only come back to the event if the issues were addressed, well they certainly were!! and still nothing.??  

I'm a weekend worrier who happens to possess a captains license, so I gladly compete against Pro's. and the pro turn out was decent. Tournament fishing isn't for everyone, but if someone can tell me how this event only drew 10 Am teams, which was offered at a reasonable entry fee IMO, I would like to hear it.

Tom Tom and Rob did a great job organizing the event and as stated before. WTG.   

I agree Pete and can only hope that getting the word out about this years event will draw more Am teams for next year. I for one am going to talk with as many possible old Am teams in an attempt to find out the answer to your question.Also, I'm going to promote entry by as many new teams as I can find for next year.

I remember years where there were between 20 and 25 Am teams.And perhaps thru response to this, maybe some will jump in and help us improve attendance for next year.What do you think guys?Let us know?

Thanks Pete.

I know it is a pain and might not even be possible but if there was any way that people could sign up the day before (with a hefty penalty fee of course) it might help a little. I know in years past I would have signed up late once I knew the weather was good etc. I would have been willing to pay an additional $100 to sign up on friday night before. That $100 penalty fee could go right in the organizers pockets for having to put up with the hassle of last minute entries   :)

Eliminating the observers for Am teams as Sodus is doing this year would help alot. An observer is going to cost between $100 and $200 for 2 days and is a big expense for them. We'll se how it works out there. I'll talk with some of the Ams fishing it. Also an extra guy on a 18 ft. boat for a team of three can be an issue.Tom Allen has the right idea I think in the use of Lie Detector (random tests). Used to do it before and could start it again for the Pro-Am for both Pro and Am. Just my thoughts.

I agree that the event was well thought out as far as the changes in the format was concerned. It seemed to address the concerns of most of the critics who had nothing good to say about past events.  (no comm. etc.) The organizers had an advantage due to the fact that social media plays a big part in getting the message to followers of our sport, as well as receiving criticism. But what is puzzling is that with all the effort, and all the passion that goes into trying to satisfy the needs and concerns of all, the event only drew 10 Am teams??  are you kidding?  I dont have numbers to back it up, but I can recall passionate discussion on this board and elsewhere from ALOT people (mostly Am's) who would only come back to the event if the issues were addressed, well they certainly were!! and still nothing.??  

I'm a weekend worrier who happens to possess a captains license, so I gladly compete against Pro's. and the pro turn out was decent. Tournament fishing isn't for everyone, but if someone can tell me how this event only drew 10 Am teams, which was offered at a reasonable entry fee IMO, I would like to hear it.

Tom Tom and Rob did a great job organizing the event and as stated before. WTG.   

There also were at least 10 pro teams from Mexico and Oswego who did not come back, Perhaps there are  more reasons that haven't been discussed. All we can do is promote for next year.

Edited by troubles

Eliminating the observers for Am teams as Sodus is doing this year would help alot. An observer is going to cost between $100 and $200 for 2 days and is a big expense for them. We'll se how it works out there. I'll talk with some of the Ams fishing it. Also an extra guy on a 18 ft. boat for a team of three can be an issue.Tom Allen has the right idea I think in the use of Lie Detector (random tests). Used to do it before and could start it again for the Pro-Am for both Pro and Am. Just my thoughts.

Big part of the reason I didn't get in was due to the observer.... Not at all that I'm against it, it's a good idea, just can't find anyone to commit to a whole weekend of riding on someone else's boat. It's hard enough for me to put a fishing team together :(  Yeah, I could probably pay someone to do it, but costs add up. I did fish the A-Tom-Mik Challenge and will be fishing Little Salmon River next week and Fair Haven Challenge in August....because I don't need an observer.

Joe I agree. We weren't going to fish the sodus proam this year, but when the no observer rule came out it made our lives easier. Living in Philly makes it tough to find an observer.

The AM teams I've talked to said they aren't joining the Sodus ProAm because they can't compete. Six fish is tough for many of us. Would they compete if it was three fish? Maybe, or maybe they'd just have a different reason, not sure.

Nick