Jump to content

Olcott July 11, 12 and 13

Recommended Posts

Thursday July 11

I took my friend Bill and his son Bill Jr (who was in town from Arizona for the week) out for some salmon fishing.  Found the lake a little lumpy with 2-3’s out of the NW.  Set up in 60 fow in front of the barn and headed offshore on a NE troll.  First bite came in 240 on a black and purple NK28 on the 50’ rigger, decent teenage king and Bill Jr’s first salmon ever.  That was quickly followed by a nice 8 lb coho on the same spoon.  

Kind of a slow pick but we managed 9 or 10 bites for the day, including a fat little brown trout that must have gotten lost on the 50’ rigger out in 280 fow.  The lake laid down as the day went on.  Fleas were horrible and there was a ridiculous east to west current out there.  Mostly a spoon bite, NBK stingray took several hits later in the day.  Not the kind of action I was hoping to get them into but they were happy.

Friday June 12

LOTSA Curt Meddaugh Memorial Prefish Tourney: ugly day out there, with a stiff E/NE wind and 3-4 footers with the occasional rogue 5-6.  We actually found that a N-S troll was bearable, so Dad and I worked between 100 and 240 fow between Olcott and Wilson.  Not a lot of bites, in fact we were trolling south back to port when a diver started screaming and a good fish ripped off 100+ yards and then spit the hook.  Gotta love Michigan Stinger, not only does the paint and tape fall off their spoons if you look at them cross-eyed, but the stack hooks suck as well.  That was on a blue dolphin stingray.  Moments later the high rigger fired and we put a teenage king in the box, so we decided to make another N-S pass and see if we could pick up a couple more.

We made 2 more passes and picked up 2 mature kings to get our 3 fish box for the tournament.  Both came on the Mountain Dew SD/green crinkle howie fly on the probe rigger at 80 feet.  With the E/NE winds we were watching the cold water move in on the probe as temps got colder at the ball as the day went on and I fully expected the lake to flip from the NE.

Saturday June 13

LOTSA Club Tournament

Lake laid down to dead flat calm overnight, so the Tournament was on.  Today, dad and I had Mac and Gary Melnyk out fishing with us for the Club Tourny.  Got rods set and the 50 foot rigger fired with a screamer that shook the spoon after a long run.  The old black and purple NK28 again.  The lake did not flip, but down temps were much higher in the water column today, we had 42 deg at 60 feet.  

The lake quickly built to 2-3 footers again.  We ended up with 15 or 16 fish for the day, lots of 1 year old kings, a small atlantic, a couple steelhead and a couple nice mature kings.  60 down was the hot depth, the Mountain Dew SD/green krinkle howie was hot on the probe rigger at 60 feet taking a bunch of bites. Once the sun came up I pulled the white glow green dot/hammer off the starboard wire diver and replaced it with a nuclear green SD/Hammer, back 180.  It was in the water about 5 minutes when it fires with a major screamer that after a lengthy battle, came to the net at 0930.  It was bouncing between 29 and 31 lbs on the boat scale.  That fish, six hours later at the Tournament weigh in was 28.95 lbs, good for 1st place in the Club Tournament.  


All in all, a good three days of fishing despite the rough water.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

We also fished olcott this past weekend. Our report:
Friday 7/12: Went out at 7:30 am. Made it out to about 90 fow, but it was too rough for our liking. Our decision to return to harbor was cinched when we saw the 35' Renee Anne coming in and figured our 22' should do the same. The time spent sitting on the boat docked in Newfane Marina waiting on the weather to change was well spent however. We chatted with our slip neighbors, who like us, also hail from Pittsburgh. Their boat, Reel Scream, is a beautiful vessel and Frank was kind enough to share some valuable salmon fishing knowledge with us greenhorns. The lake calmed down a bit around noon and we fished from noon to about 4 pm, but only were able to boat one steelie.  
Sat 7/13: My wife Caroline and I had my brother and sister-in-law on deck. Again, a bit bumpy out but fishable. We only managed two 8-10 lb kings and 3 keeper steelies, and had a great time out there. Back at the dock, we met some more nice folks, including finally meeting Mr. Trophy from aboard the Salmon Obsession whom we have chatted on the radio with before as he as nearly the same boat as we do. Very nice guy and hope to bump into him again. The LOTSA tournament was today and our slip neighbor, Frank placed 4th. We were admiring his fish when he asked if we wanted them. Umm...yea we do! We absolutely love to eat Salmon and so do plenty of our friends back in Pa. When we told Frank this, he made a few calls and before we knew it, we were given 3 20+ pound kings to clean! What a great guy with awesome friends. My brother and I split the catch and we'll be able to fill several smokers with fish this summer. Frank even showed us some of his fish cleaning tips which worked very well. Great day! 
Sun 7/14: Caroline and I went out at about 6:30 am. Calm, flat lake. Fishing also started out great when Caroline landed a 22 lb king on flasher/fly on wire dipsy down about 80' before we even had the lines out. I then picked up a 8 lb coho on f/f about 60 ft down a half hour later. She was next up and we knew we had a nice one on when for a full 30 seconds after the wire dipsy with watermelon spinny and fly started singing all she could do was hold on as the fish took her from 180 (3 setting, no ring) to 700 ft out on the line counter.  Thank goodness for powerpro backing! After a 30 minute battle, Caroline boated a beautiful 24 pound king.We managed one additional steelhead and called it a day at 3 pm or so.

Mon 7/15: Caroline and I had my mother on board, who hasn't fished in over 25 years. I think the main reason she came is that I joked with her a while back that I didnt know if she could reel in a big king anymore. Well, I was proven wrong when the 80' rigger fired 10 minutes into the day and she landed a 15 pound king on f/f. About 1.5 hours later, a wire dipsy fires with what feel like a nice king and then the 40 rigger goes. After a crazy 15 minutes, we landed both fish which turned out to be a nice steelie (which was on the free slider on the rigger) and another 15 pound king. We managed one more 12 lb king and called it a day at 11:30 because Caroline and I had to drive back to pittsburgh.


Overall a great trip and once again made new friends in Olcott. We came home with about 80 pounds of Salmon fillets (Thanks Frank!) to share among our friends. What a wonderful place and spectacular fishery. Will probably be back in about a month depending on work schedules. We can't wait!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey how do you back your dipsy rod with braid? What kind of knot do you tie to splice it?


I use powerpro braid under the wire connected with an albright knot. Can take a couple tries to get a good knot because of the stiffness of the wire, but it can be done. I also cover the knot with plyobond to make sure it goes through the eyes without snagging. http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/. I let the glue dry over night before spooling the wire over it. So far so good, but haven't had many fish get us into the backing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KIGI....NNiiiiicce! And new friends chip in 80lbs. of salmon.....to smoke.... SSSssswweeeeeet!! Looks like Caroline held the kings magic hand!! :)

Over the past 2 years, she has probably reeled in 5x as many 20+ lb kings as I have. And its not like I always let her take the screamers. We pretty much alternate who reels/drives when we're fishing but, like you said, she seems to have the magic touch!


As far as new friends are concerned, that's been our experience at Olcott just about every time we go. We always seem to meet new friends there who help us out with fishing tactics. Now, they don't always give us 80 lbs of salmon, but we're always amazed how willing people are to share their secret lures, spots, etc.. to help others. Like our neighbor Frank told us, "It's not like we're fishign against you in a million dollar tournament, so why not share what's working?" Its really a great place with really nice fishermen. We plan to be back Labor Day weekend and will hopefully post more pics and update.


May also have the boat for sale after that trip as well. We're probably moving and won't need a large boat, so I'll get some pics together and figure out a price, but our Trophy 2052 which in my mind is a perfect Lake O boat and served us well for 2 years may be listed if anyone is interested in looking at it while we're up there. It's going to kill me to sell the boat, because we've spent so much time adding stuff to get her ready for salmon fishing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use powerpro braid under the wire connected with an albright knot. Can take a couple tries to get a good knot because of the stiffness of the wire, but it can be done. I also cover the knot with plyobond to make sure it goes through the eyes without snagging. http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/. I let the glue dry over night before spooling the wire over it. So far so good, but haven't had many fish get us into the backing.

Hey thanks for the info! About how many ft of backing do you use. I run the Magda 45s.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...