cauyga in feb

dcso

Hey Ray!

im a green horn green as green can get. the kids got off the last full week in feb so thats what i'm shooting for the kids have off ( my oldest & 1st mate) will be tagging along) weather permittining . i have 19ft sunbird cuddy hopefully it will run (big motor 110 jonson vro, spent 800$plus on it this summer ) other wise the 9.9 yami will have to do. where is a good place t launch? last summer i ran two copper lines last summer in otsego lake. this spring projects include an 85 sea ray 230 which i/'m finally going to get into and rebuild.

any how

ted

where ya (we ) launch will depend on the weather and lake and what your after ...lakers seneca ,............landlocks,browns,lakers cayugaman your moter talk gots me a little worried kinda the wrong time of the year to be hopeful about your main motor help is far and few between in feb.im gonna be out of town the week your talking about16th to 23rd.figure what lake you want to fish and ill try to help ,and list what ya got ..ie.. downriggers,leadcore,dypsy rod,ect without too much detail ,tell me what ya wanna catch and ill do my best to put ya on some fish with the help of others here also...

ray,

i'd be looking to fish the lower end of Cayuga fo LL's or brown's & posssibly lakers. i have downriggers, two 300' copper lines, 1/2 dz or so line counter rods and should have my 2 wire dipseys put together this week. i have a good mix of spoons, stick baits, plugs along with a mix of divers & flies etc. 2 lg church boards per side. as for the motor it would run just woudn't cold start or idle very well. hanafins in owego went through it and rebuilt the carbs and some other small items. the last time out this fall it ran great, just never had it out in the winter. that said i have no doubt the yamaha kicker ( 4stroke) would always get me home.

thanks

ted

first of all get that trailer regestered,i ant the expert on cayuga but the surface bite should still be happing ,opps you will probly launch at tahanauc (spelling)or at least plan on it in case the canal is still frozen plus at low lake levels in the winter one wrong turn in the first 400yds of the lake could leave ya grounded,the launch is about 6 mi north of ithaca on the west side they got a bubbler so it shouldnt be froze.try the mud line off the park (northside of the line is more defined) keep stuff on top to 5 ft down yellows,gold/orange ect. usual mud colors sticks spoons 2.5 ish mph gps will work fine for speed,east west trollhead out on northmost side of mud line and turn south and back in a big circle watch the surface temps you might be plesently surprised at what you see that will tell you when to start your turn.if ya ant got boards drop your riggers to 10ft back 75plus then ya free up the top for more stufflandlocks will hit near the boat but i like to run long leads so you can watch em jump a few times before ya get em in check the length regs for this lake and have a ruler handy for rapid release of short fish

Lakers, you could drop some green dolphins below the mud line theres gotta be some lakers under there feeding maybe 35 to 50 ft then ya can hook a slider to your main line and get more stuff out if you get your limit of LL. early and the lake ant to bad head north on the west shore not to close as the bottom can get a litle goofy there. throw out your dypsys 220 ft on 2.5 settings with green spin dctr with green fly and head up towards the power plant if it nice out this will be a good ride on the lake with a view still run surface stuff as fish are in pockets everywhere on that lake purple and blk or silver should get some attention in the clear water ,natural sticks like any fishery try different colors as time permits and you may get a big surprise ...greens ,blue/silver,blk silver ..sticks are good reliables. maybe hermit or frisco will spill a little for us all................Good Luck Ray. K.

That all sounds pretty good, keep in mind I'm new to this winter stuff and relatively new to the lake.

I really don't have anything to add with confidence except I saw plenty of lakers down 200-250 with the bait, also from 120-160 or so, even a few in 80-100. I haven't seen much on the screen so I think most of the fish are deep and high, stay in the top 20 feet or drop for bottom. Long leads and stealthy. Set drags light because there are a bazillion dinks out that you don't want to drag around all day.

Hope it helps, sorry I didn't have more, oh I like the natural colors mostly, green, blue, white, red, black, purple, etc, think ROYGBIV I guess.

Good luck everyone- I won't be around online much from here out- PMs will go through eventually if anyone feels the urge. Happy fishing!

Today: lots of dinks. A few keepers for sure, but I'd guess the past several weeks have taken a toll on many of the nicer fish in the area for the time being. Or, I can't fish, which is always a good possibility. The browns were less plentiful but bigger. Like the guys have said, just about everything worked. Didn't fish deeper than 20 feet.