New to Lake O and saying hello

Hi all,

Names Kyle and I am new to fishing Lake O, a move to the Batavia area has forced me away from my home waters. Grew up fishing on Skaneateles and Otisco lakes. When my grandfather handed me down his console drive 16" Grumman fishing boat, "Chief Loose Eye", I instantly outfitted it for those lakes targeting browns and bows, and eventually put a new merc on it.

I know The boats a little undersized for the big lake but I still want to get out for kings, chrome and browns on calm days. I have picked my old mans brain for lake O advice as he used to fish it on his boat but has since changed gears. The rest of the knowledge I hope to gain from experience and maybe with some help from you folks.

Always open to meeting new fishing buddies and learning new techniques. I keep the VHF scanning while I am on the water and have been launching out of the Oak. Keep an eye out for "the chief" and feel free to say hello!

Tight lines

Just make sure you pay attention to the weather reports, some days you can go out as far as you want. I fish in a sixteen footer also and there are plenty if good days to get out. There is info on just about everything you will need to know on this site! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug

Welcome to the site LooseEye!  Everyone on here is very helpful and will generally answer just about any questions you have.  I've learned just about everything i know about trolling from the guys (and gals) on here.  Use the search to look up old posts, and if you can't find what you're looking for don't hestitate to ask questions. 

Good Luck

Sean

Thanks for the kind words/ insight. Hopefully the winds are light Sunday and I can get out for a bit, two trips so far and nothing but a baby king. Think I need to head out a bit farther 2-300 FOW once I build a little confidence on the lake.

Loose eye,

Welcome to the site. We are docked at Wileys in Oak Orchard. we have a 30' cruiser/cranberry canvas fly bridge. Boat name is Hannah Christine. We normally fish on the week ends and would be glad to have jump on board and join us. just PM me if interested. Can not miss our rig, or call us on radio anytime.

Shade

Thanks Shade, that's very nice of you. I would definitely be up for that sometime, especially when the waves are predicted to be a bit much for my smaller craft. Feel free to PM me any weekend your looking for another guy aboard. This weekend I think I am going to be out Sunday if the lake lays down a bit, if not ill stick close to home and take the girlfriend kayaking. If I get out ill try and see how your doing on the radio, feel free to do the same.

New to the lake as well, with an 18 footer.  (Okay, its 17.5, but I fish, so I see no harm in adding a few inches to yet one more thing I mention....)  I've been out in 3' rollers, and it handled it pretty well.

Not saying it was fun, or smart, but I didn't have that "hope my life insurance is paid up" feeling.   As others have said, you will get plenty of good conditions to get out on the lake.  Some good info on conditions

can be found at:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45012

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=14624

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LO/043.html

Thanks for the info Jim, I appreciate it. I actually headed to the oak today hoping the 2-4' waves forecasted would turn into 1-2 but that wasn't the case. When i arrived at 630 there were 20'+ boats headed back to dock so i knew there wasn't a chance. Did some fishing in the creek and never even thought about heading out the channel. Hopefully I can get out next weekend and maybe even my new elect rigger will be in by then!

See yah out there!