Lake Ontario Walleye

nyjason18

I think generally most of Lake O is just not great habitat for them and they also have too much competitive pressure to deal with. Erie is rocky and fairly stable in depth and temp. You also have very little pressure from other apex fish in there, with only a few trout and pretty much no salmon.

Lake O is a mud pit with almost no weed cover as it has a very smooth shoreline with few bays and coves. It gets deep fast for the most part and is subject to major flips, flops, upwellings and other things that make it a rough world for fish that aren't ready and willing to travel LONG distances as need be. Trout and salmon and fine in this world. Walleye, pike and even bass don't love it which is why the population stays much lower outside of the tribs for these fish. Ambush preds tend to pick a spot, with cover, and use it to feed. Lake O doesn't have much cover and no reliable spots.

That is my take.

The Eastern end of the lake has a good number of walleyes and great size. From Oswego to the east there is better structure and with the large population in the Bay of Quinte Ontario there is an exceptional trophy walleye fisheries. Fishing from Henderson Harbor though out the St Lawrence can be very good. I'm sure there are fish through the entire lake as they are caught in the Niagara River, Oswego River, and the Black River. Although it's certainly not Erie potential for fish over 10 lbs. is good.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

• 2 weeks later...

Gen river walleyes are disgusting. They taste like the river smells up by kodak. It is fun though in may-june up by seth green island. Water gets in the 70's it shuts off.