Cayuga Hydrilla Update

This was forwarded to me regarding the Hydrilla Issue on Cayuga Lake. I thought people might find it interesting.    Also note when the inlet will be closed.

The invasive aquatic weed hydrilla was first spotted in Cayuga lake last summer.  Aggressive treatment on 2012 helped slow its spread but treatments will need to continue for many years.  The first application of the season is scheduled for Tuesday, July 16th, starting at 8:00 a.m., at which time the Inlet will be closed to boat traffic until the application is complete..

The herbicide Aquathol K will be applied in the Cayuga Inlet, the Flood Control Channel, the Treman Marina and the lower reaches of Cascadilla Creek and Six Mile Creek. The herbicide is applied below the surface of the water, using a boat where possible and backpack sprayers in less accessible areas. The application is expected to be completed in one day. The first analytical results will be available later this week at StopHydrilla.org.

Meanwhile, for detailed information about the herbicides and the Hydrilla eradication effort, visit http://ccetompkins.org/environment/invasive-species/herbicides-use

i heard someone say recently (with regard to the hydrilla in cayuga) that the hydrilla could ruin the bass fishery there.

that seems pretty unlikely to me because i grew up bass fishing in texas and the best bass fisheries there were FULL of hydrilla - i mean thick with it (30 fow and you could nearly walk on it). We would not only fish the edges, but use plastic worms with 1 oz weights - drop it right in the stuff and pull out LOTS of 6-9# largemouths (40# line and NO drag)

perhaps things are different in a colder climate? i doubt it. I think it's the home owners who don't want it around their docks and water skiers etc who don't like it. I'm not saying they don't have a point, but i do not think hydrilla hurts bass - i think it helps.

andre

As a person who owns a cottage on Cayuga lake. If the hydrilla chokes the shorelines it will cause that housing market to plummet. You can see it at the northern end of Cayuga already. I feel if it was intended to be here it would have been at the dawn of time.