The Curse of Sodus

As I woke this morning I quickly threw my chicken bones and did my calm water dance. Then I pulled up the wave forecast for this weekend.... NO... it can't be... all that work three years ago... countless nights of rambling in different languages... all the supernatural feats performed and sacrifices made... Could it really be possible? It can't be, we thought it was gone, we thought we had finally won, we thought we had broken (dun dun dunnnnn) THE CURSE OF SODUS (insert crash of thunder)!!!

Anyone who has fished the Sodus ProAm for a few years will be familiar with this curse. The middle of summer, most weekends are calm, but not ProAm weekend. Every one up until a couple of years ago would be tough, windy, small craft advisory type of weekends... We thought that was behind us... the last two years had been so good to us...

Is this year going to be the return of the curse? It sure looks like it :(

Nick

Nick - You're looking at things way too optimistically....get a grip man :lol:  Let Theresa do all the voodoo dance stuff....and put bright yellow tape on the rods to replace the pink stuff that has offended the fish gods :)

It is wayyyy too early to look at these forecasts. In fact, I am glad they are bad. Usually it is the opposite of what they forecast this far out. So, my guess it that winds will be 5-7 knots with <1 foot waves  :thinking:

Its not the waves but lightning that scares me....Remember a few years back sneaking in to Pultneyville in a bad storm during Sodus pro-am...My buddy got the **** shocked out of him hangin on to the rocket launcher!  

Edited by Wolfhound

It is wayyyy too early to look at these forecasts. In fact, I am glad they are bad. Usually it is the opposite of what they forecast this far out. So, my guess it that winds will be 5-7 knots with <1 foot waves :thinking:

Just remember I'm hopping on your boat if it's too rough! :)

Ive been chanting all day... got it down to 3-5... Now I need to find a goat and a alter and see if I can get this baby down to <1ft!!

bobs_boy, your vessel must be able to take some pretty rough conditions I would imagine

There's a big difference between having fun, being comfortable, and sinking.

Less than 2-3 is fun, less than 4 is comfortable. We've been out in 8-10s and havent sunk, but it was not fun.

Less than 2-3 is fun, less than 4 is comfortable. We've been out in 8-10s and havent sunk, but it was not fun.

+1

Nick,

Don't use up all your VooDoo, save some for the Salmon Slam!

Adk1,

Lake Ontario is a lot different than Sacandaga or any of the inland lakes and just because you think you can go out and get back in doesn't mean you should go or that you will enjoy it.  It's hard to sit on the shore on blow off days when your time on the lake is already limited and you want to fish but hopefully wisdom comes with experience no matter how big your boat is. The fish will still be there tomorrow. 

mudflat. I agree. trust me, I will not underestimate the conditions that is for sure and will be keeping a watchful eye and ear on the weather.

I hate waves. For me, less than 1 is fun, less than 2 is fun/comfortable, and 3 or more sucks!!!! Anytime it starts white capping it usually sucks unless you are going with the waves.

with the gemeni..that suprises me.

This boat makes 3 footers feel like 1 footers did in my old boat. I still prefer it to be flat. I can fish pretty easily in 4 footers but it is still rolling especially if you get abeam to the waves.

Nearly every time I went against my better judgment and intuition ( especially during derbies when I really wanted to get out there) it ended up very disappointing to say the least. Although you can "survive it" it is no fun not being able to control your speed/direction of presentation, or your lines and major tangles (the order of the day) take the fun out of it for anyone, and usually you don't wind up with much in the way of fish because of the above. It sucks to be onshore during fishing time but being out there usually sucks much worse.

Edited by Sk8man

I don't think anyone is going to be able to predict the weather this weekend.  When I look at the radar loop one instance there is nothing....then a few hours later there are flare-ups popping up all over the great lakes.  Picked up boat last night and you could see large anvil clouds forming over the lake just east of Olcott.  Any of these flare-ups could cause problems. 

Edited by Gill-T

Nick....please continue to dance, do tribal rituals, sacrifies or whatever it takes.  I am starting my "go away Native American wave dance" later today!!   I agree....the fish gods might want you to pick a different ROD color.  Just sayin'

Wayne....Do you need me to bring anything on the boat?  Life raft....more ropes like on a crab boat....dramamine.....chum bucket?  I know how Martin gets when he is cookin Bratwurst!!!!!!    Maybe I will grab my kids bike helmets and some padding incase we are falling all over the place into each other????   Just trying to be prepared!

Waves will be 3-4'.......fishing will be phenomenal......and good time will be had by all........regardless!

or i will be wrong and thrown overboard as a sacrafice to the lake.  But hey.....all in the name of fishing and being a good team member!

PEACE OUT!

The curse is upon us, strong storms have knocked out the power and the ac, it is hotter than a mofo... brace yourself, the proam curse is upon us!!!

Good luck tomorrow everyone, be safe and tight lines to all!!!

Nick