Please help with troubleshooting my kicker!

BALLS DEEP

I have a 1996 mercury 9.9 four stroke. Always been a great motor and never had any serious problems with it. It just recently started shutting off on me. I will be trolling around the lake for ten to twenty minutes at a time with no problems and it will just shut off. I will restart the motor ,be good for another short period of time and do the same thing again. I was thinking about changing the fuel filter and cleaning the carb. Any other suggestions or am I going in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

My kicker runs off of my main fuel tank.

do you have a fuel filter here also ??  may want to check line from main line to kicker for air leaks UV damage and such.......  sure sound like a fuel shortage issue

That's how mine is set up should be changed out yearly or as needed if you get some shaky gas...............when you pump the primerbulb does it stay hard ??.... also I have a fuel filter on the side of my kicker motor

My main engine seems to run just fine, never had a problem with that.

Just saying not sure ....but your main motor could have a much better fuel pump pulling gas thru filter without issues.....  with mine when the filter is getting bad after trolling for some time on the kicker motor ( and HOT weather makes it worst )  I go to start up main motor ( I always start my main motor before shutting off kicker been dead in the water before and didn't like it on bit) and main motor will not start. I have to prime it back up because the kicker pulled all the gas out of the line. The fix is to change fuel filter for me. Anyway hope you get this figured out must be a P.I.T.A. having motor stop while you have a full spread out............

Sounds like its starving for fuel as everyone is suggesting but could be a number of things. Certainly start with the fuel system. Check the filter. Check for cracked lines. I would pour some of the gas out to check for water as well. If that's all good I would bet that's its your primer ball or more likely the fuel pump. Fuel pumps are common problems but easy to replace and not too baddy priced. I don't think it would be the carb but you never know. Easy way too tell wether or not if it is a fuel problem is just before the motor dies pump the primer ball. If the motor revs a little and takes off it is most definitely starving for fuel.

If its not fuel related then more likely an electrical problem but I think that's unlikely but could be a bad coil or stator and both usually present other issues. That's why I think it's unlikely. Lets us know how you make out.

I had same symptoms. Something I encountered recently with mine.....the fitting on the gas line where it attaches to the one on the motor was sucking air (which I hadn't noticed).  I changed out the line and bulb etc. and made sure the vent was open and the motor runs fine now. Make sure you CAREFULLY check each of the fittings as I had looked them over but not closely enough the first time.

Edited by Sk8man

Oh and just out of curiosity, how do you check for water in the gas?

When you change the canster fuel fiter ( :bandit: )  dump the gas in it into a glass jar............let it set for some time and see IF you can see any lyering of differnt color gas........

Mine had the same symptoms. Replaced lines and primer bulb twice. Kept getting worse. Finally started killing my main motor at idle speed (of course while trying to dock). Replaced vent cap/fuel fuller piece. Still nothing. Replaced inline fuel filter between main tank and main motor/kicker.

Finally found the stupid anti-siphon check valve in a 90 degree fitting coming out of the tank. Knocked the check ball and spring out, then reassembled. Runs perfect.

The anti-siphon valve does nothing good at all and only is a source for problems. I think it's an EPA requirement when manufactured to prevent a possible line break, have it siphon your gas into the bilge, and then have your bilge pump dump it into the lake. My new kicker just came with two of the stupid valves between the motor and portable tank (one in line and one in tank).

Who knows- might be something to check.

The anti-siphon valve does nothing good at all and only is a source for problems. I think it's an EPA requirement when manufactured to prevent a possible line break, have it siphon your gas into the bilge, and then have your bilge pump dump it into the lake.

That valve serves another very important purpose in the fuel system & that would be fire and/or an explosion should a fuel line rupture or leak in the bilge. If there should be a problem, always replace it with a new one.

It still sounds like the fuel line is either starving the kicker or too much air is getting pulled in....I'd replace the fuel line and bulb if it isn't new. If the bulb stays hard...you may have solved it. Always good to know that it ISN"T the problem too and use the other for a spare.

Yes if you got another tank and fuel line to try that would certainly help narrow your issue. You can check for water in your tank by taking a clear cup or bottle. Pop your gas line off your kicker so there is no end on it and put the gas line in the cup. Pump the ball a couple of times and if there is water in the gas it will stick out. I'm still betting its your fuel pump. If you do have an extra tank of gas and can put the tank somewhere above the motor so gravity is on your side. If the motor runs with no problems then you it's your fuel pump.

That valve serves another very important purpose in the fuel system & that would be fire and/or an explosion should a fuel line rupture or leak in the bilge. If there should be a problem, always replace it with a new one.

Good point for everyone, but I'm still running without. I'm not going to risk putting my boat on the rocks (which almost happened) because I lose power at low rpm's when the stupid ball sticks again while docking. Plus, my new 2' of fuel line only runs upward toward my fuel filter/separator and is held in place with clips every few inches.

I'm not being an ass, just saying it won't be on my boats.

Your fuel pump creates a vacuum or at least a reduced pressure environment within the fuel lines. No matter which engine you use, the vacuum fuel pump creates under pressure in both lines

There may be a small leak in one of your fuel lines, which causes it to suck air into the line,thereby effectively reducing the fuel intake, because it takes less energy to suck air then it takes to suck fuel.

When you use the ball in the fuel line, you fill the carburetor bowl to the top,but if there is a small leak that sucks air, the bowl will slowly empty out and after a minute or so dependent on the size of the air leak your engine will stop. Then when you use the ball ,you will start the entire process again.

My advice would be to check all your hoses and  to install a 3 way valve in your fuel line or have 2 independent hookups to your fuel supply. That way you reduce your risk of air sucking in your system from across the other engine fuel supply.

Good luck.