using spoons - single or treble hooks

Question - I have Stingers, DW SS and BF spoons, are the trebles that come with them what everyone runs or should they be swapped out with single hooks? I heard single hooks improve the action.

I am new still trying to figure it out. Not able to catch too much on spoons and I want to know if this might be something I need to change.

Thanks!

I think this is debated at least once a year on this site....lol. That being said here's my two cents:

1.) You are going to catch more of the quick "darting" fish on the trebles rather than the singles so overall I think you will have more hook-ups with trebles

2.) You are going to foul hook more fish with trebles

3.) A fish is less likely to shake loose on the large single hooks but in my opinion you are going to inflict more deep tissue damage to the fish, unless you use smaller single hooks 

4.) Don't overthink the action on spoons with one hook type vs. the other - in my opinion the action is going to be fine with the trebles with the current spoon line ups

5.) Trebles are going to get caught in your net more

Overall, I prefer trebles

Good luck,

Chris

If they are strong (e.g. good quality 3 x) trebles they may be alright but weaker ones can be a problem in that the hooks can work against each other in the fishes mouth and causing hook bending and a loss of the fish. Trebles can also be more of a problem in conventional nets (often tangled). I also think they are harder to deal with when releasing fish because they are often harder to dislodge. About 30 years ago I started switching all my spoons over to Mustad stainless steel siwash salmon hooks and  I've never looked back...and I've never had one bend on me. Stickbaits are another matter because of the balance issues but I have some with singles and especially for saltwater fish. In my view the singles are easier to grab with my needle nose pliers to release the fish by turning upside down and letting them drop off the hook without handling in any way. Again, it is a personal preference but I thought I'd share a different view of things since many folks are sold on trebles and it is a choice situation. Single hooks are also somewhat easier to sharpen and keep sharp.

Edited by Sk8man

Both have thier pros and cons.  I stay away from singles because they seem to come right out of the eye on smaller fish (mostly small steelies). 

Edited by GAMBLER

I have some spoons with singles some most with trebles.  I have thin spoons that allow me to run at slow speed for lakers or spring shoreline trolling...these have singles.  Trebles on everything else.

no...Why not? What I mean is....The spoon comes with a treble attached, but also included is a single if you wish to put that on...

It CAN affect the action of some spoons if you change over from trebles to singles and vice versa. It is especially true with light weight flutter spoons or small spoons and even more pronounced with stick baits.  You have to size your hooks accordingly. If the weight of the replacement hook is too great the action can be changed greatly....For example with small Sutton flutter spoons. I try to test out my spoons at the side of the boat before letting them down to check them out. It is also possible that they run differently down deeper in the currents etc. With stickbaits I sometimes change to sturdier high quality trebles if the standard ones appear weak or bend. I seldom change them to singles.  

Spoons are tuned to the weight of the hook behind it, action can be altered drastically by replacing the stock hook with one of a different weight. Keep in mind that sometimes you might "want" to do that. A lighter weight hook may give a particular spoon more or better action at a slower speed, but on the other side, the spoon will sponn out at faster speeds. Conversely a heavirr hokk may allow a spoon to be trolled at a faster speed, but will hang dead and lifeless going slower. As with anything there is a give and take, but these are things you have to consider when changing a lure's dynamic from the manufacturer's specs.

Adk1, it's called price point. As it is most lure manufacturers cheap out on the stock hooks because no one is gonna buy an $8.00 spoon. A second hook in the package, faggedaboutit.

Tim

You don't NEED to change hooks.  You should experiment & find out what's best for you and your boat by observation.  After that you may WANT to change hooks...maybe you won't.

For example: if you're doing 2.5 mph and put a BF in the water about 5-6ft beyond your tip, you'll see a certain amount of wobble.  Now change the hook to  single & go the same speed, you'll see a different wobble.  It has to do with the weight of the hook and its water resistance/drag.

Bottom line: you'll get the same wobble at a slower speed with the single.  On the CON side, spoons with singles may spin out at 3 mph whereas with a treble, they may not.  If you want the same wobble with the single at 2.5 mph as you have with the treble lure at 2.5 then you'll have to bend the spoon a little.  How does your boat troll?  Do you have the full 1/4 mph increment ability? 

Will you brain-hook a few small fish with a single? yes.  Will trebles get caught in the net more frequently? yes. 

I've changed just about every spoon to singles except DWss which have stayed as trebles. I have a few BFs and the jury is still out on them.  

On a side note, this time of year is when the hard-jawed Kings are going to start showing up & personally, I want the penetrating power of the singles.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 2 weeks later...