Loc derby

While we are at it lets get the lake trout division back and allow us to weigh in fish the next morning. Maybe we should put together a petition?

Amen to weighing fish the next morning!!!

Im for next day weigh ins as well. Some of our bigger kings come to late to get to a weigh station and our primary weigh station at sodus has less than favorable hours for weighing fish in the evening. 3 years ago one of my good friends and a religious loc fisherman caught a 39 pounder and when he tried to weigh in the station was closed.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have been reading and posting on some of these derby rules and regulations. Simply put, there has to be rules and regulations that are strictly followed to keep an even playing field. The youth not being able to participate I was and still am against. The weigh in though, you have to pick a time to close. Weighing in the next morning might have guys out fishing all night when technically probably isn't a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

Let me update you guys now that it's Saturday and Dave has had almost a week to respond to my emails.....no response from "The LOC Headquarters".

I could call, but I know he got one of my emails so I will take his lack of a response as a no. That is fine, but all asked was is there any reason at all I should take my son Justin to the awards if he remains leading youth salmon. I expect someone to place a larger one, but what is so hard about saying yes or no ?  And why have a youth awards division if there is no youth award  :rofl:  Try telling your children that they are leading a youth award division, but not to get to excited because it appears as though there is no award in the award division.....see what kind of response you get, lol    I just wanted a simple answer because I don't want my boy to miss out on a chance to go up on stage and participate if he gets a trophy or something, but I live 5 hours away so I need to know.

I'm not bashing Dave, it's his derby and he has the right to run it as he see's fit just as we have the option to enter or not. But ignoring your long time loyal paying customers on such a simplistic issue is bad business.....just saying.

Edited by Fishtails

I had a youth place on my boat two years ago in the fall. He received a trophy was interviewed by Dave, we were in the spring loc paper as an article I would go its a great time. Chances are that that it will never happen again in the youth division. Good luck

The only way to get Dave's attention would be for him to see a noticeable drop in derby participation. That would be it. Message board postings ,email messages and phone calls will just go in one ear and out the other. Hit the old wallet and then I believe you would see some interest on his part. Just my 2 cents .

I do not want to see participation drop. The LOC and the other derbies help keep this fishery going. A large voice needs to bring this up to Dave. Other than a few goofy choices lately, Dave has done a good job running the derbies. There are a few things he could do to get participation up. Lowering the youth age and bringing back the rule about keeping fish overnight. I do not afternoon derby fish a lot due to the simple fact that the bite is getting hot when the weigh stations are already closed. What is this rule stopping anyways? Is someone going to try to drive from Lake Michigan to weigh in fish? I do not think so!

I do not want to see participation drop. The LOC and the other derbies help keep this fishery going. A large voice needs to bring this up to Dave. Other than a few goofy choices lately, Dave has done a good job running the derbies. There are a few things he could do to get participation up. Lowering the youth age and bringing back the rule about keeping fish overnight. I do not afternoon derby fish a lot due to the simple fact that the bite is getting hot when the weigh stations are already closed. What is this rule stopping anyways? Is someone going to try to drive from Lake Michigan to weigh in fish? I do not think so!

I think the intention is to try and stop someone who's not in the derby from, say... catching a slob the night before, and then buying a derby ticket before 0700 the next morning and then weighing the fish in later that morning.  Not sure how much that would happen, but I'm guessing a scenario like that is the basis for the rule.

Tim

Tim, what would stop that same person from just leaving the fish in the cooler, buying their ticket at 6am and weighing in at 7am and saying they caught the fish at 6:30am? In my opinion it's a rule that only hurts the honest fisherman.

The plain truth is that there has to be rules. If this Dave person is the rule maker and it is his tournament, then you have to play by his rules. If you dont like the rules, dont enter. that is my 2cents. Personally, I wont enter just because of the youth restriction rule. But, there are plenty of fishermen and women out there that will enter and that is good!