sliders on riggers

I wouldn't recmmend running the FF on a slider. You can though the F/F at the ball and run a slider with spoon ..just make sure there is good separation  (15 or20 ft.) minimum

Edited by Sk8man

i figured there would be alot of drag on the line,i have read that on a free slider you are about half way to the ball,so there should be plenty of seperation,the reason why i want to try this is i only have two riggers,so if i can slide one that would give me more baits in the water.

Ive run a f/f at the ball and a free slider, Trouble is when you pop your line to check it or go in, the lines get all twisted as you bring them in.

Exactly, and even worse with a fish on the slider.

I've tried every kind of clip and release and nothing beats the free slider for me personally. When fishing solo the sliders can be a huge help. Even if your hook-up ratio isn't great with the slider they can help you locate fish and maybe change your target area.

I picked up all 3 of my fish Monday morning fishing solo on fixed cheaters. Rarely, if ever, do I get the cheater and main line tangled.  When i want to change baits I trip the rigger release and put the rod back in the holder  until both spoons reach the surface,  then reel them in SLOWLY with the rod tip high. 

I have found that a small piece of latex surgical tubing on a coast lock snap makes for a fantastic fixed cheater. It holds the cheated lure in place but will still slide down the line after the hook up.

post-139500-0-82990900-1374267826_thumb.jpg

Edited by J.D.

I picked up all 3 of my fish Monday morning fishing solo on fixed cheaters. Rarely, if ever, do I get the cheater and main line tangled.  When i want to change baits I trip the rigger release and put the rod back in the holder  until both spoons reach the surface,  then reel them in SLOWLY with the rod tip high. 

I have found that a small piece of latex surgical tubing on a coast lock snap makes for a fantastic fixed cheater. It holds the cheated lure in place but will still slide down the line after the hook up.

attachicon.gifcheater crop.jpg

Great idea, I'll have to try that. 

JD thats a fantastic Idea I will have to try that next time out for a fixed slider i usually only run one free slider because i almost always have a spin doc on one rigger and I hate when it twist with the slider this is a nice way around it though.

I run fixed sliders with spoons 5 feet above a F/F without difficulty. Put it down slowly and bring it up with the rigger or with A FISH. I sometime fix a 6 inch SD 8-10 feet above a F/F. You need to remain aware of what you are doing to avoid tangles. If you forget and pop a rod, you might have a nice tangle. I also run a self spinning bait head above a F/F. There are no rules about what you can do except the state limits the number of lures on a line. Run what you want and see what works. Just be aware that the cheater fixed closely above the ball is there to attract fish to the bait off the ball. So if you are catching fish on the ball lure, your fixed cheater helped get it there. If you fix farther away from the ball, it is to target different depths and your cheater is intened as its own attractor to pull in hgher fish.

A simple means for fixing a slider is to use a large coast lock snap around the line then put a small rubber band through the clip and around the line. One half hitch holds it snuggly. A quick pull will break the band when you get it up to the rod. You can also just keep reeling and he rod tip will push it down the line. Reelers choice.

Where do you put the cheater? do you put it before the release or after? I never used this method and don't quite get the drift of where to attach it, thanks for any input PAP.

Pap, I believe a cheater is the Same thing as a slider. There are many different ways of running them if you want to run a free slider you put you line at your desired depth then you put your slider on the line and let it go! It should end up somewhere in the middle of what depth you are running! You can also do a fixed slider which most run 10 above the ball! Most people wither use an offshore release to keep the slider in place or they will half hitch a rubber band! Either way you are running two lines off one pole unlike stacking when your actually using two poles!

Pap, I believe a cheater is the Same thing as a slider. There are many different ways of running them if you want to run a free slider you put you line at your desired depth then you put your slider on the line and let it go! It should end up somewhere in the middle of what depth you are running! You can also do a fixed slider which most run 10 above the ball! Most people wither use an offshore release to keep the slider in place or they will half hitch a rubber band! Either way you are running two lines off one pole unlike stacking when your actually using two poles!

so than the slider goes on the main line before the release or after then, sorry for being so stupid but I don't see how you can be 10 feet above the prev. line without being above the release? You would attach a small off shore release to the main line like you would a double stack release on the rigger?

Pap above the release.

For a fixed cheater, let out your main line put it in the release and lower the rigger 10 feet, then put the slider/cheater on and attach it to the main line of the rod (rubber band, small snap, however your cheater lines are set up) then lower the rigger to it's final destination. 

For a free slider, deploy the rigger as normal, then attach the slider to the main line and toss it overboard and let it slide down to the belly.

Tim

I love the free sliders too. Extra lure in the water on each rigger. Yeah! I let the rigger down 20-25 ft, hook up the slider and put it over. Then let the rigger down where you want it. A funny comment to Tim's post "and toss it overboard". make sure you "hook it up" first. It happened only once,but I tossed my slider overboard, and realized a moment later it wasn't connected. I won't do that again, I hope. My last comment, and I think important, when you put the slider over in the water, make sure that it is clear of the lines,especially your rigger rod you already have in the release. It's easy to toss it over and have the treble catch. You don't want it tangled when you send it down.

To keep my free sliders from tangling with a F/F I half hitch a rubber band about 10-20 feet above the flasher and set the rigger to depth. Then hook up the free slider and throw it over. When you go to check the line, pop the release and let it rise slowly and reel it in. MOST times the slider will catch on the rubber band and there will be no tangles. Now if a fish hits the slider then obviously the rubber band wont stop the slider from going all the way down to the main lure, but in my opinion that is fine. I don't mind having to take care of a few tangles to catch more fish. :happy2: