Canandaigua tonight 7-18-13

My buddy Mike and i went out at about 6:30 tonight until about 9:45 PM in his boat.We put out 2 downriggers a wire dipsey with flasher and fly combo and a small dipsey without the ring near German Brothers in about70 ftw. A little while into it I had a good hit on the F/F (mountain dew with green and white fly). A first I thought it felt like a medium sized fish and I started to take up some slack with him coming toward the boat and then he started really thrashing and took out a good deal of wire three separate times. The rod was bent pretty good too (stiff roller tip rod). I got him half way in and I felt him let go....never got a look but whatever it was it was a real good fish....kept trolling south on west side and trolled to the condos and we picked up two rainbows one on black Evil Eye and one on a small hand painted rapala that Mike custom painted himself with auto paint :lol:  and he said its his all around best lure. His fish was badly injured so it was kept. Mine was released unharmed to fight another day and it fought valiantly  for me ...one of its several jumps was about 6 ft in the air. We encountered a little grass but not bad. The fleas were there but not bad either. The new Blood Run flea line never had any fleas whatsoever while the wire rig picked up a few at the terminus. It was an incredibly beautiful night and we savored it and especially the breeze all the way back to the launch ramp after the heat today. Next fishing stop Striperland ( Cape Cod Saturday)

Oh yeah...Mike and his rainbow

post-145411-0-53643000-1374204516_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I do the cape cod canal in june...had a great blitz my last morn this year...burned out a reel...what a rush...love those stripers...best thing out there for food or fight. Good luck! Some good morning tides at the canal end of this weekend I believe if memory serves. East end with waders at slack. Last I knew the outer cape is pretty tough with the seals and sharks I don't go to Race point or Nausset anymore. Now I do the last moon tide in may and first in june if I can.

Justin

Thanks guys. Hey Justin I hear ya on the Nauset area....last couple years they have closed the beach because of the Great Whites grabbing the seals there My in-laws live in Eastham so I'm pretty much an outer Cape dude :)  Been going to the Cape since 1967. We used to fish the rip tide out from Chatham right off Monomoy with sand eels and nailed a lot of real hogs there but as you mentioned the seals and sharks are now a real problem out there. I've fished out of Rock Harbor, P town, Dennis, and Wellfleet but have never fished the Cape Cod Canal. This year I may be limited to surf casting off Coastguard Beach or Nauset and hopefully won't hook on to a Great White :lol:

Nice report Les have fun this weekend , I'm still in Pa.  got the brush-hog out the othe day what  time hooking it up........it been out in the weather for two + years ....barns full of boat and fishing tackle............... :bandit:

A 15' Great White was spotted near shore in Chatham two weeks ago.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/07/15/great-white-shark-spotted-off-beach-chatham-sunday/YDAfQpeuW0A4wyom02PoiO/story.html?camp=misc:on:twit:metro&dlvrit=715467

A 46 lb striper was caught in the canal a couple of weeks ago

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=60537.0

Edited by Thun

Thanks Ed.... " barns full of boat and fishing tackle............... :bandit:" That"s the way it should be :)  Thun - thanks for the info Re: the Cape.

Checked the tide chart....sunday and monday are perfect for slack tide and a minus tide at daybreak...bass will be in the canal....I was there for a big june blitz this year....everybody caught....sounded like bowling balls being dropped from the bridge....makes me wanna load the fishing bikes right now! Jig all night top water plugs in the am...anybody that hasnt seen it check it out on you tube...best thing you can do with a rod reel with ur clothes on! Man im fired up thinking about it...

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app